Mint 17 black desktop after suspend

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbsheebs

Mint 17 black desktop after suspend

Post by jbsheebs »

Every third or fourth time I wake my computer from suspend the desktop background is not there, only a black desktop. I can see the desktop picture on the login screen where I enter my password but then it goes to black after I log in. This is not a huge issue because everything works. Toolbars, programs, and everything else seems fine. it's just annoying. I think there might be some correlation between the length of time my computer sleeps and waking to a black desktop background. The longer my computer sleeps the more likely to wake to black it seems? Anyway, does anyone else have this same issue or could help?

HP EliteBook 8530w
NVIDIA 331.38

Please and Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
drhex

Re: Mint 17 black desktop after suspend

Post by drhex »

I also have the black desktop issue in Mint 17/Cinnamon, after nearly every suspend.
Going to system settings/backgrounds and picking a background will temporarily fix it (until the next suspend...)
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

This could be a driver problem. Do you use the default Nouveau driver? I use a NVidia driver and everything works. Have you tried restarting Cinnamon? An easy solution is to install an applet "Restart Cinnamon" which puts a button on your toolbar. Two versions are available: restart-cinnamon@kolle and restart-cinnamon@bimsebasse.
Cheers, Mike
kelebek333
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelebek333 »

You can try to disable Nemo Xrandr plugin with following commands.

First install dconf-cli package.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dconf-cli
After disable Xrandr pluging.

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/cinnamon/settings-daemon/plugins/xrandr/active false
Note: A similar issue was solved by the above method on Linux Mint Turkey.

Return to “Cinnamon”