Desktop problems after installation

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tw888

Desktop problems after installation

Post by tw888 »

I am fairly new to Linux Mint but thus far I think its great. I am trying to put Linux Mint 16 with Cinanmon desktop onto 2 old laptops for my kids to play with. The first a Dell Inspiron 640m works perfectly. On the second, a Dell Inspiron 6000, I am having problems with the graphics after installing Linux Mint 16 with Cinnamon. The symptoms are as follows: the panel at the bottom is some what blurred (it looks as if the panel is beneath the desktop but still visible in a translucent blurred form) & when I right click on the panel or left click on the LM Menu button the contents of the menu is blank. Oddly enough the LM Menu button isnt blurred. Any thoughts / help would be much appreciated. Screenshop attached might help.

I am wondering if it is because the graphics card is the following: AMD/ATI RV370/M22.

T.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Desktop problems after installation

Post by Kalyk »

Hi,
It sounds like a graphics card problem.
Just looked up the hardware specs and I would advise to use Mate.
So I would take Linux Mint 17-32 Mate and retry, it will probably work better on this hardware.
And Mint 17 will be supported for 5 years where Mint 16 support will end soon.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

This topic http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=152780 seems to report a similar problem and the original poster states that they have the Mate version running well on the same machine, which seems to confirm Kalyk's advice.
Taynak

Post by Taynak »

press CTRL+ALT+F4,

enter username and password.

then type this into the command line:

sudo stop mdm

enter password...

it will bring you back to the command line.

type this:

sudo start mdm

enter password and login to your profile..

done.

Return to “Cinnamon”