frequent hangs with LM17

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geoffm

frequent hangs with LM17

Post by geoffm »

I installed LM17 yesterday evening and I'Ve been experiencing frequent hangs. Everything becomes unresponsive except the mouse cursor which can move around. Have to do ctrl alt backspace. Sometimes, hangs are less severe and only the keyboard is unresponsive, I can switch between windows but not really use the programs. In this case I can do Alt F2 , r.
Anyone else experiencing this? Any solution we can hope for?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pumrum

Re: frequent hangs with LM17

Post by pumrum »

I've been seeing the same thing on the system in my sig. I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot. The only relevant notes I've seen are in the release notes:
If you are unable to boot Linux Mint with an NVIDIA card, or if you are experiencing constant freezes and system lock ups, please append "nomodeset" to your boot arguments. At the boot menu of the live DVD/USB, press Tab to edit the boot arguments and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line.

If you're still having issues, you can also remove "quiet splash --" from that same line.

Alternatively you can use the "nouveau.noaccel=1" boot argument.

Once the system is installed, use the Driver Manager to install the nvidia-304 driver.

However, my system installed fine and I'm using a Quadro GPU not a GeForce GPU so I'm not sure it's related.
geoffm

Post by geoffm »

Can't be related to an Nvidia graphic card in my case, I'm running the integrated Intel GPU.
hoseinit

Post by hoseinit »

I encounter the random freezing on Mint Mate 17. I have Intel GPU. So how can we continue using linux without pain ?

Return to “Cinnamon”