Cinnamon window placement options

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
woodsman

Cinnamon window placement options

Post by woodsman »

Does Cinnamon 2.2 provide any window placement options? Or do all windows still open in the upper left corner of the desktop?

Mate has an option to center new windows and in 1.8 even added a check box GUI control for the option.

Just asking, nothing more. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon 2.2 window placement options

Post by xenopeek »

Cinnamon 2.2 opens first window on a workspace in the middle of the screen. As you open additional windows on the same workspace, those are arranged from the top left corner (each new window shifted down so the titlebars don't overlap). Doesn't look like you can configure that further.
woodsman

Re: Cinnamon window placement options

Post by woodsman »

Cinnamon 2.4 does not support a centering option. Is there anything that would encourage the developers to add this feature?
I Know Nothing

Post by I Know Nothing »

It doesn't just need a centering option. It needs a "remember position and size" option. Certainly one of the things I miss from Windows. Although Mate makes a pretty good effort... caja, libre office and the document viewer for example (maybe more) stay where you put them for next time. Other applications that don't at least give you the option of opening on the left or in the centre. VLC doesn't seem to play ball at all and opens where it feels like.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

KDE has all those features and more, so if minute control over how and where windows are opened then you might want to have a look at KDE. Each desktop environment has its strengths, they don't all need to be the same :wink: KDE can be a bit overwhelming due to how much there is to configure. Some users will want that, others don't need it and it would just get in their way of getting things done.

In KDE on each application's window menu (icon in top left of each window) has, there's a submenu for more actions, where you can set special window or application settings. That allows you to configure in minute detail how and where windows for that application are opened. You can also configure default behavior system-wide in minute detail.

As for "is there anything that would encourage the developers to add this feature", there have been a couple of feature requests for this or related options. Like this one: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1219. Those have been open for years and show very few interested users, so the developers haven't worked on it (hard to justify spending time on something very few users are interested in). I don't mean to push anybody towards KDE or away from Cinnamon, but I'd guess users that want such fine grained control over their window placement would naturally be drawn to KDE.
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

so still no 'remember position' or 'fixed window placement' option like in compiz and kde still then? shame, i was tempted to try cinnamon again after a couple of years in kde. guess ill stick with kde as this is so essential to me that it outweighs absolutely everything else
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If Compiz has what you need, you could also try Linux Mint 17.1 MATE--that comes with Compiz preconfigured for easy use: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2702. Currently as release candidate, final release expected in a week or two.
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

yeah ive been playing with the latest ubuntu mate in vbox, but it feels so aged i decided its not for me anymore. unless devilspie2 has improved radically over the last couple of years thats not a very good option either imho
swee
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon still does not remember folder window position or s

Post by swee »

A new version of Linux Mint 17, and still Cinnamon cannot "remember" folder window position or size. Surely this is a higher priority than all the eye-candy improvements in Cinnamon 2.5?
The Pool Man

Post by The Pool Man »

I would like to see this too.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Just spent sometime looking into how to change this behaviour having recently installed Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, and came across this topic. With dual monitors, it can be quite a chore to head all the way back to the top-left. An option to centre on the current workspace, or to open near the current mouse position would be great. Opening at the applications last position would be even better.

Other than that one issue, I'm so far loving Cinnamon. :D

Return to “Cinnamon”