Really slow login screen MacBookPro+VirtualBox + Quina

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
christian.convey

Really slow login screen MacBookPro+VirtualBox + Quina

Post by christian.convey »

I just installed Linux Mind Cinnamon 64-bit onto a VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro.

When using the live DVD session, the desktop was very responsive. After doing a proper install of LM17 into the VM, the Cinnamon desktop is also quite responsive once I've logged in.

The problem is that the login screen itself is insanely, insanely slow. Threre's something like a 30-60 second delay between when I hit a key and when the character shows up in the login password box.

Anyone know why this might be happening?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abax

Re: Really slow login screen MacBookPro+VirtualBox + Quina

Post by abax »

Linux Mint DE (Debian base) 32 bit.

I have exactly the same problem on 2 different systems. It takes seconds between pressing a key in the password box and getting the visual response.
I have tried two different keyboards (PS/2 and USB) but both show the same behaviour.
It might be the age of the computers; both are 5 years old or more.
When logged in, the keyboard responds smoothly as expected.
HighlandThunder

Post by HighlandThunder »

I think I have the answer for us, having just installed LMDE 17 Mate 32 bit on my old AMD Athlon 64 3400 with 1 GB of RAM and an NV34 Nvidia video card, which then took 30-60 seconds for any keyboard input to register at the login screen. Evidently the HTML login screen is selected as the default which uses the WebKit rendering engine. I have no idea as to why its response is so slooooooow, unless the engine requires a huge amount of processor power to work well. The good news is that switching to the GDM login screen corrected the issue.

First, get logged in to your newly installed Linux Mint OS. If you are experiencing this problem you will be presented with a login screen that seems to be locked up, you know, frozen. Just type in your previously selected password and either press enter or wait for the correct amount of dots to appear representing the typed characters on your keyboard then press enter - this will take a while if you're experiencing this issue, maybe a minute or two.

Once logged in, click the menu button, Administration, Login Window.
login_window.jpg
It will most likely ask you for your password so give it then select GDM from the Style drop-down menu. Then select your desired login window design from the list, I selected Arc-Wise-Userlist. Be sure to actually click on the little circle to the left of your desired selection and then click on Close.
gdm.jpg
Your newly selected login screen should now be used upon a system reboot and should be every bit as responsive as the OS itself.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

@christian,

if you are running Mint in a virtual box, you need to install the guest additions
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

@Highlandthunder,

you may want to open another topic as your problem is different, you are not running a virtual box Mint. You may a graphic card problem (hardware acceleration not enabled in the default driver)
Also post the results of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Return to “Cinnamon”