Ubuntu 14.04 (Cinnamon desktop) Locked on Boot Up

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
motsteve

Ubuntu 14.04 (Cinnamon desktop) Locked on Boot Up

Post by motsteve »

I hope this is the right forum as it was the only one I found corresponding to Cinnamon forum.

I installed cinnamon 2.2 on my freshly installed Ubuntu 14.04LTS using the nightly build repository. It booted fine and worked as it should, but today it is no longer functioning as it is locked as soon as the Plymouth splash ends. One thing I did do the last time I was in Ubuntu 14.04 was to switch the software settings back to "normal mode" by no longer selecting the nightly updates repository. When I boot into a functioning Mint 13 partition and checked my Ubuntu 14.04 partition file /var/log/syslog using tail I get the following message:

Code: Select all

May  4 10:04:25 Ubuntu-LTS cinnamon-session[1690]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
This seems to be where my Ubuntu boot is getting hanged. I also checked the dmesg tail for the same Ubuntu session and got:

Code: Select all

[   11.406039] init: bluetooth main process ended, respawning
[   11.419399] init: bluetooth main process (1327) terminated with status 1
[   11.419408] init: bluetooth main process ended, respawning
[   11.432486] init: bluetooth main process (1351) terminated with status 1
[   11.432495] init: bluetooth respawning too fast, stopped
Obviously the boot process was chasing it's tail. Is this repairable? For instance, should I edit the sources.list in my Ubuntu partition to add back the reference to the nightly build repository (wild guess here) ? I'm not a software type. I'm just an end user who isn't afraid to use the CLI or try to understand the workings of the software via OJT.

Note: My Grub menu does not have a Ubuntu recovery mode entry, BTW. Apparently OS-Prober doesn't like multiboot systems as it really turns out some strange grub.cfg files which have to be edited manually to correct.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wesen

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 (Cinnamon desktop) Locked on Boot Up

Post by wesen »

When you install a new desktop, you would normally not remove the original one. So are you not give the possibility to choose other desktop at startup? I have had an ubuntu with at least 5 desktops, and had the possibility to choose among them at boot up. It is on the splashscreen where you normally type your username and password, there is a drop down box, choose ubuntu, and it should boot to the original ubuntu. Where you can go to terminal and make your choice to reinstall nightly and wait for the 2.2 stable to come in http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebiha ... ble/ubuntu - wait for the "silkshirt" Mint to be expected "end of may" afaik. I have Lubuntu 14.04 that boots up in 6 sek. and don't dare to install nightly builds. But love Cinnamon, so I wait to see which one comes first. If I do install it in Lubunt, I will still have the possibilityh to choose between the desktops at bootup. Hope this helps.
motsteve

Post by motsteve »

People are still reading this thread, so just to let them know, I gave up on my installation and reinstalled Ubuntu 14.04 and have just stuck to the Unity desktop. My Cinnamon desktop version would get to the desktop and then just freeze. Oh well, Mint 17 is coming out by the end of May anyway. Right now I'm trying to get the RC version to work and that is a task also.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

I'm try to see the real possibility to use cinnamon on ubuntu 14.04, because it's a pain the current support of consolekit, and on ubuntu 14.04 not used systemd as default... for now i recommend you try to switch to systemd if you want to have a better support for general software on ubuntu 14.04... The only problem that i currently see (relate with upstar), is the the impossibility to access to session state, and the said effect on several things like auto-mount the volumes for example...

Return to “Cinnamon”