Mouse cursor getting stuck on wrong cursor

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dakiraun

Mouse cursor getting stuck on wrong cursor

Post by Dakiraun »

So here's one I've not encountered before; I installed Linux Mint 16 w/Cinnamon on my mother's laptop (a Dell Latitude D620, 3G RAM, 120g SSD). While it's awesome I was able to convince her to not use XP any more and switch to Linux, she's got this one weird issue where the cursor will get stuck on the wrong cursor.

Normally the cursor is the arrow, but as you all know, there are many alternate ones you see if you move something, resize a window, and so on. The thing is, it always falls back to the default cursor when done those things. On her laptop, the cursor seems to get stuck after a while, most often on the text-entry cursor (the one looks like an "I"). This makes it harder to use since it's not an arrow any more.

Now, if you log out, and log back in, the cursor is okay again... for a while. It always seems to get stuck after a time though. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing that? Even if not, is there any way to write some sorta timed cron job to reset the cursors every couple of minutes or so?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mickey6

Re: Mouse cursor getting stuck on wrong cursor

Post by mickey6 »

I use the KDE desktop, but I have seen a few oddities with my cursors, too. Sometimes the "main" or default cursor falls back to the flat white arrow. I have had animated cursors get stuck, too; for example the "wait" cursor will not switch to the default cursor, but the other cursors like "resize" work fine, but it falls back to the wrong default cursor.

Maybe this shows there's a glitch in cursor handling going on at a deeper level than the desktop?

HTH
anandrkris

Re: Mouse cursor getting stuck on wrong cursor

Post by anandrkris »

Seems like a bug. you could report here perhaps -
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues

Return to “Cinnamon”