keyboard shortcut problems, Mint 16

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

Hi, searched the forum and the net but didn't see this specific issue, if I missed something please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I use Linux Mint at work ("trying out" would maybe be more appropriate to say, been using diverse Linuxes at home and work for many years but I am new to Mint).

My main development application is IntelliJ IDEA which has pretty novel notions on keyboard shortcuts - they are not following any other standard, not when compared to Win or Mac either. Among the things is that many useful everyday commands are mapped on CTRL-ALT-something, which also are common in Mint. To my specific troubles:

* I've disabled CTRL-ALT-T in Keyboard settings but it still opens a Terminal. Verified and re-verified that it's saying disabled. Can it be defined in more places?

* I've disabled CTRL-ALT-L in Keyboard settings and this works, however I was trying to map Super-L to locking screen instead but that doesn't work. Seems Super-combinations does not work, or am I missing something?

Thankful for any pointers, and asking here before filing a bug in case it's just me, otherwise I'll be happy to file a report as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: keyboard shortcut problems, Mint 16

Post by Kalyk »

The Ctrl-Alt-T I see literally under Keyboard-Shortcuts under Starters-Open terminalwindow (translated from Dutch, might be a little different for you).
Is that the place where you removed or altered it?
I tried and changed it to Ctrl-Alt-L and then Ctrl-Alt-T didn't work anymore to start the terminal.
Altered it back and it worked again.
Advise is to choose a better alternative then Ctrl-Alt-L, this one started the lock screen, didn't know that.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I was off on Easter holidays.

Ctrl-Alt-T is under Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Launchers - Launch terminal. Your translation is fine, this would be the same place as you mean, where also email client, web browser, calculator etc is configured..

It is set to "Disabled", and this setting persists over reboots, logout/login, etc. However, the shortcut still opens a Terminal and therefore blocks other programs from receiving the keyboard command. I do not wish to map it to Ctrl-Alt-L, I just want it disabled.

Separately, I wish to map Lock Screen (Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> System -> Lock Screen) to Super-L (AKA the "Windows" key + L) because it's really handy to have a shortcut for locking the screen in a company environment, and I need this to not be the default Ctrl-Alt-L. Changing this to Super-L does disable Ctrl-Alt-L, but Super-L does not work.
Saosin

Post by Saosin »

I have the same problem for the same reason. I am using IntelliJ/Android Studio. Since I am used to the shortcuts in the IDE, I am attempting to change the mappings at the OS level for Lock Screen.

What I have noticed, once I have set the shortcut for Lock Screen to [Super + L], pressing [Super + L] does not invoke the lock screen, but if I hold Super and hit L twice rapidly, the lock screen is invoked. As a test, I open a text editor and have it in focus as I press the keys. The first L is entered in the editor, and the second L triggers the lock.

Normally I would simply get used to a few different shortcuts and live with it, but I would also prefer to be able to map different shortcuts for workspace switching and the like. When I modify these to use [Super + Left] and [Super + Right] and use them, eventually the desktop freezes completely and I have to restart. There is definitely a bug or something underlying this problem.

Has anyone found a cause/effect/work-around for this?

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit, Cinnamon Version 2.2.16, Linux Kernel 3.13.0-35-generic.
doomchild

Post by doomchild »

I've had a similar problem. After mapping Super_L+T to "Open Terminal", I've found that I have to hit it twice in rapid succession to actually open a terminal. I mapped Super_L+E to "Open Home", and have the same behavior. They have to be hit in pretty quick sequence (less than a second). This is better than previous Mint editions (where sometimes they just wouldn't work at all), but it's still not great. I've noticed that this only happens if Super_L is a part of the keybinding.
nomko

Post by nomko »

@ stoffe:
Please be advised that Mint 16 is obsolete for over 6 months now and therefore also no longer supported and maintained. Aslo the repository of Mint 16 has been closed too. It is recommended to either upgrade to Mint 17 or downgrade to Mint 13 depeding on your system hardware specifications. Also it is not recommended to encourage Mint users to keep using obsolete versions since they will miss any updates and bugfixes which are implemented in the latest Mint release. An expection to this is Mint 13 which is still maintained and supported since Mint 13 and Mint 17 are both LTS versions meaning that both versions are Long Term Support versions:
  • Linux Mint 13: supported up and till april 2017
  • Linux Mint 17: supported up and till april 2019
More info about updating to Mint 17 can be read >> here <<.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

nomko wrote:
@ stoffe:
Please be advised that Mint 16 is obsolete for over 6 months now and therefore also no longer supported and maintained. Aslo the repository of Mint 16 has been closed too. It is recommended to either upgrade to Mint 17 or downgrade to Mint 13 depeding on your system hardware specifications. Also it is not recommended to encourage Mint users to keep using obsolete versions since they will miss any updates and bugfixes which are implemented in the latest Mint release. An expection to this is Mint 13 which is still maintained and supported since Mint 13 and Mint 17 are both LTS versions meaning that both versions are Long Term Support versions:
  • Linux Mint 13: supported up and till april 2017
  • Linux Mint 17: supported up and till april 2019
More info about updating to Mint 17 can be read >> here <<.
Please be advised that this was posted in April, when 16 was the recent release. So, is it fixed in 17 then?
nomko

Post by nomko »

stoffe wrote: Please be advised that this was posted in April, when 16 was the recent release. So, is it fixed in 17 then?
I know it was posted in april, but since this topic is still alive (not solved) i advised you to switch to the latest release of Linux Mint. I cannot tell if this is fixed or not. That is something you have to figure out after installing Mint 17. I know it's a blunt answer, but that's a fact. Only you can tell ;)
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

nomko wrote:
stoffe wrote: Please be advised that this was posted in April, when 16 was the recent release. So, is it fixed in 17 then?
I know it was posted in april, but since this topic is still alive (not solved) i advised you to switch to the latest release of Linux Mint. I cannot tell if this is fixed or not. That is something you have to figure out after installing Mint 17. I know it's a blunt answer, but that's a fact. Only you can tell ;)
There's a pretty easy test case if someone wanted to be helpful. I'll probably upgrade at some point. Thanks for the friendly pointer.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

stoffe wrote:
nomko wrote:
There's a pretty easy test case if someone wanted to be helpful. I'll probably upgrade at some point. Thanks for the friendly pointer.
What desktop environment are you using? Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon? Nevermind, I just noticed that this is in the cinnamon subforum

The option to remove a keybinding seems to work in LM17 Cinnamon but the double press for the custom keybinding still exists
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

JeremyB wrote:
What desktop environment are you using? Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon? Nevermind, I just noticed that this is in the cinnamon subforum

The option to remove a keybinding seems to work in LM17 Cinnamon but the double press for the custom keybinding still exists
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

stoffe

Post by stoffe »

Yeah, partly. I also had the issue that the original shortcut could not be disabled. Can now report that after upgrading, that part works, but the linked issue still remains.
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

2014-10-05

I started using Mint 17 a few months ago afer being a Ubuntu 12.04 user for almost 2 years. I like Mint 17 very much but I do sorely miss the common Linux terminal-activation keyboard shortcut. There are situations only a keyboad action can handle a Linux problem effectively and promptly. The cows will have gone home by the time you finish clicking this and that screen button in order to open a new terminal to perform a job!

I've read a number of posts telling me how to revive the good old Ctrl_Alt+T shortcut and have failed to achieve my goal for some strange reason. I'll appreciate very much anyone's help in this matter.

julianvb
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

julianvb wrote:2014-10-05

I started using Mint 17 a few months ago afer being a Ubuntu 12.04 user for almost 2 years. I like Mint 17 very much but I do sorely miss the common Linux terminal-activation keyboard shortcut. There are situations only a keyboad action can handle a Linux problem effectively and promptly. The cows will have gone home by the time you finish clicking this and that screen button in order to open a new terminal to perform a job!

I've read a number of posts telling me how to revive the good old Ctrl_Alt+T shortcut and have failed to achieve my goal for some strange reason. I'll appreciate very much anyone's help in this matter.

julianvb
Try:

Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard shortcuts -> Launchers -> Launch Terminal
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Hi, stoffe,

My Linux MInt 17 is based on Linux 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu. I am unable to trace your suggested path:
Menu> Preferences> Keyboard> Keyboard Shortcuts> Launches> Launch Terminal.

After opening Menu, I see Preferences only under Applications. When I click on Preferences, I don't see Keyboard. If I useenter 'Keyboard' in the Search window, I don't see Keyboard either. However, I have recently been able to find the xfce4 Terminal window the roundabout way, but I can't do anything there as Mint 17 does not respond.

Thanks very much.

julianvb
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

julianvb wrote:Hi, stoffe,

My Linux MInt 17 is based on Linux 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu. I am unable to trace your suggested path:
Menu> Preferences> Keyboard> Keyboard Shortcuts> Launches> Launch Terminal.

After opening Menu, I see Preferences only under Applications. When I click on Preferences, I don't see Keyboard. If I useenter 'Keyboard' in the Search window, I don't see Keyboard either. However, I have recently been able to find the xfce4 Terminal window the roundabout way, but I can't do anything there as Mint 17 does not respond.

Thanks very much.

julianvb
Does this work for you in Xfce https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... plications

This is the Cinnamon DE forum and for LM17 Cinnamon CTRL+ALT+t still works for me
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Hi, Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your kind input. I've just downloaded the article you referred to. My problem is that I don't see Settings under Applications after I open my panel. In other words, I cannot trace the path indicated in the article, namely Panel> Applications -> Settings -> Keyboard.

Can there be something wrong with my Mint 17 installation? By the way, I am using Mint 17 Qiana, based on Linux 3.13.0-24-generic #47 Ubuntu.

I don't mind using <Super>t to invoke xfce4-terminal at all. But when I enter <Super>t, the system just selects a desktop icon whose name begins with the letter 't' as if <Super> does not matter.

julianvb
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I wonder what this will find

Code: Select all

cat  ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml | grep -i terminal
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Jeremy,

I see in ./config/xfce4 only helpers.rc but not subdirectory xfconf . If I type in your entire file path, Linux returns 'No such file or directory'. Thanks very much.

Let me ask a reverse question. Is there any command-line way to re-enable Ctrl+Alt+T, which Mint 17 has disabled?i

Once in a while, I see Create Launcher open on the screen by itself. But I don't know what to do with it, especially when do I enter the Create Launcher'Ctrl+Alt+T' keyboard shortcut?

julianvb
Last edited by julianvb on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cinnamon”