Is a veritical toolbar possible in Cinnamon with Mint?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintBatman

Is a veritical toolbar possible in Cinnamon with Mint?

Post by MintBatman »

Hi,

Sometimes I like to be able to use the whole vertical size of my desktop without the bar at the bottom but to the side. I know I was able to move it there on other OSs but can seem to find how to do it with Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Is a veritical toolbar possible in Cinnamon with Mint?

Post by gtsfer »

Try right clicking on the toolbar -> properties. You can set "orientation" to top, bottom, left or right. It works in LMDE at least, not sure about Cinnamon.
MintBatman

Post by MintBatman »

It only allows top and bottom.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

That's a Bummer, sorry! :( I Googled "vertical toolbar Linux Mint Cinnamon" and a few of the results led back here to the forums. Some of the posts were pretty old. The ones I found that may be of some use suggested installing a package like gnome-panel, Cairo-doc, or docky.

The other option is to change the whole desktop to something like Xfce (or Mate which I'm running). That can be messy in the long run and would likely cause you more grief than good. I would think about one of those docking options. Maybe you can get a comparison via a Google search. Or better yet, maybe someone will jump in here with a suggestion with one that they have used.
MintBatman

Post by MintBatman »

I guess this is one for the devs then. Maybe I will cross post over there to see what they say.

Return to “Cinnamon”