Install MATE in a Cinnamon Mint 16 system

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
winemaker9
Level 1
Level 1

Install MATE in a Cinnamon Mint 16 system

Post by winemaker9 »

I know installing Cinnamon in a mate system is asking for trouble, but is the opposite, adding MATE to a Cinnamon system result in the same issues? LinuxMint 16 on a Thinkpad Z61p...

Great OS, love it. Thanks Clem
Thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Steve
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Install MATE in a Cinnamon Mint 16 system

Post by Kalyk »

I don't think adding Mate is a problem, but I'm curious if others think differently.
I do think removing Cinnamon might be a little tricky, but in that I'm also curious what others might think.
In theory both things shouldn't be a problem, but then you should first install Mate (meta-package), then reboot and test if it works as expected and after that delete Cinnamon.
But wait for other reactions, there'll be some.
I usually just reinstall (I always create an extra partition so I can install something new and when it's all to my liking I stay with it, elseway I go back).
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
winemaker9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by winemaker9 »

With the new release of Cinnamon 2.2 and the upcoming LTS release of Mint 17, I'd love to install both Mate & Cinnamon in the same install. I know it can be done, but what's the easiest way to do it so that I can select one desktop or the other at login time.
I guess what I'd really like to see is an Image containing and installing both desktops. Anyone else feel that way or have an easy way to do it? I know it doesn't take long to install the system, but it'd be nice to do it all in one shot that has a been proven.

Thanks again...waiting for 17...
S
Steve
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

So you now have Cinnamon and you want to add Mate
In software manager you can select and install mint-meta-mate and that will go just fine.
After probably rebooting you should have the option in the startmenu to choose Cinnamon or Mate as desktop.
That will work fine.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

> After probably rebooting you should have the option in the startmenu to choose Cinnamon or Mate as desktop.

Yes, but one can just logout and choose the desktop at login.

Return to “Cinnamon”