Users with non-standard uid do not show in login screen

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhuster

Users with non-standard uid do not show in login screen

Post by mhuster »

Hardware: Macbook Air 3,2 (late 2010)

I turned off the OS X journaling, so I can read & write my OS X partition. Then I created a user matching the uid (501) and the gid (20) of my OS X user. Everything works fine EXCEPT my new user does not show up on the default Mint Login manager.

I can get things to work by logging in as a different user and issuing

Code: Select all

$ sudo service mdm stop
Then logging out, and logging back in as my new user with the OS X-compatible uig & gid. Then I issue

Code: Select all

$ startx
There has to be a better way! All I need is to have the login manager display my new user!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Users with non-standard uid do not show in login screen

Post by gtsfer »

This might help, but be wary as it points out. Below a certain point (500 ?) you'll get lots of system defined IDs showing up in the login screen as well.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/128623/h ... -in-screen
mhuster

Post by mhuster »

Tried setting UID_MIN to 500. Didn't work.
Interesting, though, when I stop x, login with my user with a UID of 501, then startx, it sticks. The next time I boot I only get the user with UID=501 as an option with the Mint Login screen.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

The usual uid start at 1000 on Debian, rather than 500. Many conf files use this assumption to setup services and parameters.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

That seems odd. I know I had this working with a UID_MIN of 500 once a long time ago. It might have been on LM 13 or 14 back when I had little to no idea what I was really doing. I was trying to accomplish something different that you are. I wonder if it has to do with the GID_MIN setting as well? As eanfrid points out, this is a non standard setting so it's worth being careful (you're on Petra, right? same thing applies here though)

Return to “Cinnamon”