"Eye candy" window borders not displaying correctly

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Maxp007

"Eye candy" window borders not displaying correctly

Post by Maxp007 »

I am currently running Linux Mint 16 Petra cinnamon 32 bit, having recently upgraded from 14 (same specs).

I recall in 14 a window theme called Boje that i enjoyed and for the past 2 days have attempted to set it up in the new system. The theme i am trying to implement was downloaded from the gnome-look.org website (eyecandy for gnome) under the gtk3.x subsection.

My problem is this, when i attempt to implement the Boje window themes, the colour of the window is unchanged. The window doesnt behave as is to be expected with the new theme. See imgs "before.png" and "after.png"

From what i understand, cinnamon uses gnome and gtk2+ and gtk3+ is standard with the installation. The issue however is specific to the window theme, because when Boje is chosen for the system theme it works flawlessly (see img theme.png). Again from having done a bit of research on this topic already, my understanding is that gtk only controlls the system theme and metacity is the application responsible for the window theme.

I have checked that i have the latest and unbroken versions of metacity, gnome-themes, gtk#+ etc. and am still unable to determine the problem. I dont how to fix this, or concretely what the problem is.

My hardware are: intel core 2 duo, 2gb ram and an onboard graphics card (I suspect this might be the problem, however in mint 14 i was able to setup Boje window themes on this same computer)

Any assistance is much appreciated
Thank you

PS: I am new to forums in general, any advice as to the effectiveness of my approach is greatly welcomed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: "Eye candy" window borders not displaying correctly

Post by JosephM »

Hopefully I understand the problem correctly. Most window border(metacity) themes draw there colors from the gtk (controls) theme that you are using. Thats likely why your window borders are still gray. Its matching itself to your gtk theme. Also when changing your window border theme it also a good idea to either log out and back in or restart cinnamon for them to fully take effect.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Maxp007

Re: "Eye candy" window borders not displaying correctly

Post by Maxp007 »

Hi JosephM, thank you for your reply.

I understand exactly what you are saying. When i restarted cinnamon, everything fell right into place :D. It was a trial and error issue as i mistakenly left the settings attributed to boje and on restart had noticed the change. Apologies for my silliness. It amazes me at how sometimes the most obvious and simple solutions (ones that should be considered first :lol: ) are the right ones.

Keep well
Kind regards

Return to “Cinnamon”