20 second delay after entering login credentials

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keratos

20 second delay after entering login credentials

Post by keratos »

20 second delay between login and working desktop. delay time is consistent and doesnt seem to change.

Ive searched the net and found various "solutions" , none that work including some fix to /udev to prevent a timeout on hp printers. quite what that has to do with login god knows. I've also installed boot up manager and turned off one of the four services running at boot. no joy

so I've got a specific problem here, how do I go about analysing the login process to determine where the possible cause is.

I would add that no matter how long I wait after boot until entering login credentials, the delay is about 20 seconds.

EDIT: found this in syslog:
pr 7 23:18:16 daz-VPCF11S1E ntpdate[1779]: adjust time server 91.189.94.4 offset 0.459050 sec
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> (wlan0): IP6 addrconf timed out or failed.
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) started...
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) complete.
Apr 7 23:18:30 daz-VPCF11S1E dbus[825]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)

looks like IPV6 is timing out and NT time server lookup taking a long time. How do I disable each of these?

I have tried blacklisting ipv6 module but this didnt work
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 20 second delay after entering login credentials

Post by Kalyk »

See this link for IPv6
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=156754
I was thinking why IPv6 only starts after you login.
This might be because the password for wifi is in your keyring and that is only available after login.

Are you mounting a network share while login in? Because then the waiting time would be more logical.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

Some of the delay is also related to Cinnamon specifically rather than the networking, NTP, or other features of Mint. It's a known issue with apparently several contributing factors, such as icon rendering. Disabling IPV6 will simplify your life and can fix other issues if you don't need it (like slow browser performance under some circumstances). NTP is an elegant way of gradually adjusting/synchronizing your clocks with reliable servers, but probably not needed for most home users. You can probably disable it, http://askubuntu.com/questions/29663/ho ... sable-ntpd but you may be better off changing the NTP server to something nearby or running the NTP daemon on your router/gateway device.
keratos

Post by keratos »

Thanks guys. I can confirm that you were correct in that having now successfully removed NTP and ipv6, the error logs have gone but the delay is still there. As it's a known issue, is there a workaround for example... An alternative desktop and or session manager.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

The delay is not present (or at least not as prominent) in Xfce, MATE, or even KDE (though KDE can sometimes be slower than the other two in some respects). Your alternatives are to accept the delay after login and the split-second delay for the menu to come up when you click on it in exchange for Cinnamon's otherwise excellent UI, install one of the other desktop environments (eg. through Synaptic), or install Mint from scratch with a different desktop environment. I would advocate installing an alternative desktop environment to try it (you can choose which desktop environment at the login screen). You can always remove it if you don't like it.
keratos

Post by keratos »

the desktop ideas are fine, but come on - this is linux not windowze - we gurus need to know why things are not as we want AND we then change the system to our liking. heck, this was one of the underpinning founding principles of linux - customisation/flexibilty.

So what is slowing cinnamon (if indeed that is the problem) ?
philipegnr

Re: Slow transition to Cinnamon desktop

Post by philipegnr »

I have the same problem in LM17 64 Cinnamon and I had it since LM16 64 Cinnamon. I've tried all solutions but it didn't work. I hope it can be solved otherwise unfortunable I'll leave Mint cause wait 40 seconds each login is a wearing task.
paul59

Re:

Post by paul59 »

Lingula wrote:The delay is not present (or at least not as prominent) in Xfce, MATE, or even KDE (though KDE can sometimes be slower than the other two in some respects). Your alternatives are to accept the delay after login and the split-second delay for the menu to come up when you click on it in exchange for Cinnamon's otherwise excellent UI, install one of the other desktop environments (eg. through Synaptic), or install Mint from scratch with a different desktop environment. I would advocate installing an alternative desktop environment to try it (you can choose which desktop environment at the login screen). You can always remove it if you don't like it.
I've tried all flavours of Mint 17 so far (except KDE) and all of them exhibit poor boot speed and post log-in delays.

Cinnamon - slow boot and anything up to 40 seconds (yes four zero) of waiting after log in.
MATE - slow boot and delay of about 10 seconds
XFCE slow boot and delay of about 10 seconds plus another 5 whenever I first open the menu

In each case these were fresh installs with no printer or network connections set up. The delays seem to be worse after enabling AMD Catalyst.

Apart from the delays each has other minor faults such as keys for brighness bringing up display properties dialog, occasional reboots when trying to log out, delays after closing certain preferences dialogs & c.

This is on a new HP Pavilion laptop bought specifically fo allow me to dump Windows once and for all. Suffice to say Mint 17 has been a disappointing experience so far and nowhere near as nice as my six year old Dell desktop with Maya + MATE or four year old Acer with Win 7 - both of which are substantially lower spec but go from power-on to useable in a fraction of the time.

I'm sure the minor annoyances will be ironed out before too long but the long delays are very bad. The suggested remedy of installing an even lighter DE or WM on brand new hardware sticks in the craw.

Paul
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi
,, we could check and compare bootlogs?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bootchart
reboot and get the image from /var/log/bootchart/ upload it and we can compare.

or

Code: Select all

dmesg > dmesg.txt

and upload the file

Let's compare apples to apples
Patrick
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

For a while I have had to endure a 49 second boot delay with LM 17 Cinnamon 64bit. Using "dmesg" I discovered that the delay occurred towards the end of the boot process.
The reason was a keyboard with an inbuilt USB hub and sound in/out sockets.
What happened was that I would get the login screen but my keyboard was inactive and I could not type to log in. Altering the boot parameters by removing "quiet" activated my keyboard but the delay still occurred thereafter. Using automatic login changed nothing.
Writing new rules in udev to ignore the keyboard devices proved fruitless - perhaps I did not write them properly. Blacklisting the offending driver (snd_usb_audio) cured the boot delay but affected other programs (midi and Skype).

Upgrading the kernel to 3.15.0 did not change the delay.

The choice then was to either put up with it or buy another keyboard. I bought a new keyboard. Boot delay is now gone.

It is a shame though because the Enermax keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever used.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi kyphi,

glad to see it fixed the problem for you.
Still would be nice to compare bootlogs, so we could identify some kind of hardware items or services that seem to be more affecting boot time then others?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

@ PatH57 I think you meant to ask for the bootlog of keratos, the original poster, although I suspect that he is long gone since his last post was 3 months ago on 11th April. I would be happy to provide the relevant lines of my bootlog.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

not really as we know what your problem was.
Still a shame your kb is not working but can't you just plug it in after? And then is it recognized correctly?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If I plug it in after the system has started, I have to wait about 40 seconds before the keyboard becomes usable. Still, that would be enough time to allow me to make a fresh coffee.
The culprit is the loading of the snd-usb-audio module. Perhaps the ALSA developers can help with that.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
user815

Post by user815 »

keratos wrote:20 second delay between login and working desktop. delay time is consistent and doesnt seem to change.

Ive searched the net and found various "solutions" , none that work including some fix to /udev to prevent a timeout on hp printers. quite what that has to do with login god knows. I've also installed boot up manager and turned off one of the four services running at boot. no joy

so I've got a specific problem here, how do I go about analysing the login process to determine where the possible cause is.

I would add that no matter how long I wait after boot until entering login credentials, the delay is about 20 seconds.

EDIT: found this in syslog:
pr 7 23:18:16 daz-VPCF11S1E ntpdate[1779]: adjust time server 91.189.94.4 offset 0.459050 sec
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> (wlan0): IP6 addrconf timed out or failed.
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) started...
Apr 7 23:18:28 daz-VPCF11S1E NetworkManager[922]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) complete.
Apr 7 23:18:30 daz-VPCF11S1E dbus[825]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)

looks like IPV6 is timing out and NT time server lookup taking a long time. How do I disable each of these?

I have tried blacklisting ipv6 module but this didnt work

If you are using a HDD. I would suggest you to install and configure e4rat. For me on It took ~25s to load the desktop from login menu. Now It only takes ~8s.

Return to “Cinnamon”