Mint software manager icon problem (SOLVED)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bushblade

Mint software manager icon problem (SOLVED)

Post by bushblade »

Hi I'm running Linux Mit 16 Cinnamon 64.

I recently changed icon themes and the Mint software manager didn't change with the theme (no specific icon in theme). So I went to change it manually in the cinnamon menu editor, but the icon didn't change and is now blank. I can't change it either now as the icon selection is shown as a red x and nothing happens when I click it. All other menu entries are fine to edit, just the Mint software manager is problematic.
Is there any way I can get an icon to show for it?
I tried deleting the software manager entry and making a new entry but the same thing happened.

Thanks in advance.

Will
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint software manager icon problem

Post by kyphi »

The icon that I have on my system for the Software Manager is in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall called "icon.svg". I have changed that icon temporarily and the change occurred without errors.

Regardless of which theme you are using, you should be able to change icons as you wish. I have done this using the Cinnamon theme with Mint-X icons and changed the Firefox and Thunderbird icons to the traditional rounded icons. As well as that, I have changed all the update notification icons without any problem.

What was your method?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
bushblade

Post by bushblade »

Hi thanks for the reply.

The icon location isn't a problem, I just don't have the option to change the icon any more. I can change any other app icon I like in the menu without a problem.

I use this method; right click menu> configure> open menu editor> administration> software manager> properties> then click the icon to browse to its location. But that option is not available now.

Most of the other icons change with the theme but not this one so I tried this method as I've used it plenty of times before to change specific icons.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Your method is correct but the outcome is baffling.
The only remedies I can suggest are:
1. Reset Cinnamon to default values - Restore all settings to Default or Restore default theme
2. Change theme and/or reload theme.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
bushblade

Post by bushblade »

Thanks for the suggestions, no change though. I guess I'll have to live with it.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Try to copy a different one, like Software Sources, and paste it into Administration - so that you have two Software Sources.
Then edit all of the fields to match the original Software Manager Command, Description, etc. and give it the icon you want. If it works you can delete the original.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
bushblade

Post by bushblade »

Thanks, that did work, no idea why or what went wrong, but it's back now and I can change it as normal.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am glad it worked !

Please go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Cinnamon”