How do I make the fonts bigger in the mint menu?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polarvortex

How do I make the fonts bigger in the mint menu?

Post by polarvortex »

How do I increase the font size and icon size in the mint main menu? I can't find the option.
(In Cinnamon Petra)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jo12

Re: How do I make the fonts bigger in the mint menu?

Post by jo12 »

Not sure in other than Petra Xfce.
>Settings>Appearance>Fonts (top tab)
should be able to select a font of your liking and change the size and see the result right away
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

I didn't specify because this is the Cinnamon subforum, but yeah, I mean for Cinnamon. And I'm using Petra.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

To increase the font size of the menu go to System Settings → Fonts and increase the number next to “Text Scaling Factor”.
This is a global setting so it will also affect the file manager and other applications.

To increase the menu icon size, open the file manager and go to “/usr/share/ cinnamon/applets"
Right click on the directory “menu@cinnamon.org” and select “Open as Root”.

First make a backup copy of the “applet.js” file by right clicking on it and selecting “Copy”. Then right click in the empty space and
select “Paste”. Open the file and look for these lines in the top section:

Code: Select all

const MAX_FAV_ICON_SIZE = 32; 
const CATEGORY_ICON_SIZE = 22; 
const APPLICATION_ICON_SIZE = 22;
Increase the number in the first line to increase the icon size in the favorites column.
Increase the number in the second line to increase the icon size of the application categories.
Increase the number in the third line to increase the icon size of the applications.

Save the file. Press Alt+F2 and in the popup window type “r” and press Enter to restart the cinnamon desktop to see the changes.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Ah, fantastic, thanks!

Before, I had changed the sizes of the fonts and left the scaling factor alone. Many things listened to the change in font size but some stuff like tooltips and the mint menu didn't. Also other programs like gedit didn't care about the fonts, so I changed them in gedit too. So now when I changed the scale factor, I had to go back and shrink all those font sizes :lol:

The only thing still a bit messed up is the dropdown boxes on this website have Huge text, and the List view in nemo is sometimes big text sometimes not. (Guess I should check it after rebooting)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Determine which Cinnamon theme you are using -
System Settings > Themes > Installed > look for the one with the green check mark.
Now you can edit the cinnamon.css file to increase the font size.
EXAMPLE:
If you are using the Mint-X theme, enter this command in a terminal
gksudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
Go to about line 166, where it says,
.popup-menu {
color: rgb(70,70,70);
min-width: 100px;
}

Add font-size: 11pt;
so that it looks like this:
.popup-menu {
color: rgb(70,70,70);
min-width: 100px;
font-size: 11pt;
}

Save and exit.
If 11pt isn't big enough you can make it as big as you want. This affects the right-click menus on the panel, also.
You won't see the change until you refresh Cinnamon.
Alt-F2 > r
Of course, if you change themes you have to repeat the process.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Cinnamon”