[MINT 16] Unable to disable shortcuts

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pizzaefiki

[MINT 16] Unable to disable shortcuts

Post by pizzaefiki »

I have this situation: I have disabled the "switch to workspace N" (che ctrl + alt + arrow) in the Keyboard settings but they are still working.
Do you know why?

Tnx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: [MINT 16] Unable to disable shortcuts

Post by jahid »

what do you mean by "switch to workspace N" is N is a number here, like 1, 2,3? in that case they are generally disabled by default. it' the option which says "switch to left workspace" and "switch to right workspace" who are responsible to that behavior.
pizzaefiki

Post by pizzaefiki »

jahid wrote:what do you mean by "switch to workspace N" is N is a number here, like 1, 2,3? in that case they are generally disabled by default. it' the option which says "switch to left workspace" and "switch to right workspace" who are responsible to that behavior.
Sorry, I meant "switch to right/left workspace". I disabled them now but I can still use those shortcuts. Basically I want to disable them so that I can use the shortcuts on Intellij Idea.
jahid

Post by jahid »

how you disabled them? they can't be disabled simply. you must need to asssign other valid key bindings to them to release your ctrl+alt+arrow key binding...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I have disabled the "switch to workspace N" ... in the Keyboard settings

Perhaps also check under 'Desktop Settings' - not 100% sure about Cinnamon, but in Xfce some keys are defined there rather than or in addition to the 'Keyboard Settings' dialog.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
pizzaefiki

Post by pizzaefiki »

jahid wrote:how you disabled them? they can't be disabled simply. you must need to asssign other valid key bindings to them to release your ctrl+alt+arrow key binding...
not true, just click on the shortcut and then backspace and they become disabled, apparently, because they're not.
pizzaefiki

Post by pizzaefiki »

Flemur wrote: I have disabled the "switch to workspace N" ... in the Keyboard settings

Perhaps also check under 'Desktop Settings' - not 100% sure about Cinnamon, but in Xfce some keys are defined there rather than or in addition to the 'Keyboard Settings' dialog.

I do not have that menu item on Cinnamon.
jahid

Post by jahid »

pizzaefiki wrote:
jahid wrote:how you disabled them? they can't be disabled simply. you must need to asssign other valid key bindings to them to release your ctrl+alt+arrow key binding...
not true, just click on the shortcut and then backspace and they become disabled, apparently, because they're not.
you need to assign other valid key bindings to them to release your ctrl+alt+arrow key binding... try it.....you will see the result....
you can't just disable them by entering a backspace.....that won't work on this two.
pizzaefiki

Post by pizzaefiki »

jahid wrote:
pizzaefiki wrote:
you need to assign other valid key bindings to them to release your ctrl+alt+arrow key binding... try it.....you will see the result....
you can't just disable them by entering a backspace.....that won't work on this two.

Here's the situation now. It's still considering ctrl + alt + arrow:
jahid

Post by jahid »

hey pizzaefiki, what are you doing with the gnome keyboard settings in cinnamon? go to preference->System settings->keyboard , this is the keyboard settings for cinnamon, not the one which you may have found in preference->keyboard... :P

this is what the cinnamon keyboard settings look like in mint 16:
amellinger

Post by amellinger »

Greetings!

I am having the same problem. I am using Mint 17, but looking at the same dialog as above. When I use the "backspace to delete," the dialog says it is "unassigned" but the keyboard shortcut still works. For example, I am trying to disable "Move Window" (Alt-F7) but even after disabling, Alt-F7 still performs move window.

Thanks for any help,
-Andrew

Return to “Cinnamon”