Wrong Keyboard Layout at Login Window (Mint 16 Cinnamon)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Algainst

Wrong Keyboard Layout at Login Window (Mint 16 Cinnamon)

Post by Algainst »

Hello,

Using: Cinnamon on Mint 16 Petra, 64bit, german.

Problem:
The Login Panel for Cinnamon has english keyboard Layout, while the console and the Desktop using the correct, german keyboard.
This is with html5 login also as with GTK Login screen. others not tested yet.

Also in Updates there is repedetly the errormassege "no suppurt for udf8de_DE" while performing updates and installations. This error occours since Mint Maya 13 constantly (64 and 32bit version).
Language Updates didn’t solve this problem (from prefferences). The german settings where Updated system wide with the corresponding Button.

My Questions:
What steps are necessary to fix this?
Is it possible to disable html5 (and other uneeded) Loginin screens permanently?
What is the login system with the least vulnerability for exploids?

thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Algainst

Re: Wrong Keyboard Layout at Login Window (Mint 16 Cinnamon)

Post by Algainst »

These Functions where ok (exept the utf8de_DE messege) until an automatic update of some cinnamon releted files.
Algainst

Post by Algainst »

bump
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Edit /etc/default/keyboard file. Mine look like this

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="fi"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""
Algainst

Post by Algainst »

File /etc/default/keyboard is not existing and as far i can tell it isnt in previous backups of the system either. thx for the tip, but im not intending to patchwork with making unecessary files.

I still like to remove the multiple choices of login screens and fix the keyboard layout in that specific module. Any hints where to start loking or solutions for that are welcome.

Also there is still the issue with the utf-8de_DE error Massage. I found a solution on the web, which i have no clue what it does or why this is necessary after every installation in all versions i tried of linuxmint.
- sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
- sudo update-locale LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
- sudo locale-gen --purge --no-archive
- sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

thx
ZoningBoard

Post by ZoningBoard »

Same with cinnamon and French regional settings.

Command line login and cinnamon login do not use the same keyboard layout

When booting, the password for the cinnamon login screen is not accepted if typed using the French layout. However if the command line session is activated using Ctrl-Alt-F2, the password can be entered correctly (using the same keys than previously).

Obviously the command line session and the cinnamon login screen do not use the same keyboard layout.

Changing the cinnamon login keyboard/language (using the icon with the flag) seems to have no effect.

In the cinnamon login screen there is an option for selecting the language. This doesn't change the keyboard layout.
BTW having an option to see the characters that are typed would help to confirm something is wrong with the keyboard layout when you enter the password.

Whatever choice for the language, the US keyboard layout must be used (so you need to know where are the keys in this layout).

For example: let's say the password is "aaaqqq". You may log normally using the French layout in the command line session, but for the cinnamon login screen, whatever language is selected, you must type "qqqaaa" since 'a' and 'q' keys are inversed between US (QWERTY) and French (AZERTY) layouts.

How comes that only a few users seems to have problems with this bug?

Using Mint 16 cinnamon, Thinkpad with AZERTY keyboard configured with French in regional settings / and keyboard layout.
vegivamp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vegivamp »

*bump*

Same here. Upgraded from Olivia to Petra. Worked fine in Olivia, /etc/default/keyboard has the correct values (XKBLAYOUT="be"). Console and X session have the correct layout, MDM does not.
raoul72

Post by raoul72 »

Same here.

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. Italian layout, GDM-style login window. Keyboard layout works in console and in cinnamon session. It doesn't work in login page.

Any workaround?
Cassie87

Post by Cassie87 »

I have a similar problem. My keyboard is Latin American Spanish and does work fine with login screen, but I changed it to Dvorak and since then I've been having problems. Unfortunately I never memorized the QWERTY layout on the first place, so I had to put back the keys in its place and add stickers instead... but I end up confused if I see the keys...
Cassie87

Post by Cassie87 »

I have a similar problem. My keyboard is Latin American Spanish and does work fine with login screen, but I changed it to Dvorak and since then I've been having problems. Unfortunately I never memorized the QWERTY layout on the first place, so I had to put back the keys in its place and add stickers instead... but I end up confused if I see the keys...
rogfish

Post by rogfish »

I am also having this problem (17, cinnamon). Everything is working as it should exept login keyboard layout is american instead of norwegian..
ihateusernames

Post by ihateusernames »

Hi. I have this problem in 2019 having just installed mint cinnamon tessa on a french AZERTY Asus L200H.

Any up to date solutions?

Thanls.

Return to “Cinnamon”