Custom keyboard shortcuts saves one shortcut many times

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
globus68

Custom keyboard shortcuts saves one shortcut many times

Post by globus68 »

Hello!

Linux Mint 16
Cinnamon 2.0.14

Menu - System Settings - Keyboard - Keyboard shortcuts - Custom Shortcuts

When adding a custom shortcut it adds multiple times (seems to add one extra each time I try)
Exiting Keyboard settings.
Going back to the same setting, adding another custom shortcut, the former added shortcut (listed multiple times) are replaced with the new shortcut just as many times +1. However, custom shortcuts added from long above remain. It's only new shortcuts added from "now" which have the problem.

Example (after doing the drill 3 times):
Opening Menu - System Settings - Keyboard - Keyboard shortcuts - Custom Shortcuts
Adding a shortcut with the name "Window Left" for a script moving active window to left monitor
Now the "Window Left" item shows up four times in the list
Closing the settings
Going back to Menu - System Settings - Keyboard - Keyboard shortcuts - Custom Shortcuts
"Window Left" shortcut still shows four times
Adding a new shortcut with the name "Window Right" for a script moving active window to right monitor
Now the "Window Left" items are replaced with five versions of "Window Right" shortcut. However, other shortcuts added weeks ago remain as-is.

I don't know if it matters, but before this strange behavior everything worked just fine. I had one "Window Left" and one "Window Right" custom shortcuts in addition to some other custom shortcuts. Then I added Compiz to try to use the "Window Management - Put" option as described here: http://www.ryananddebi.com/2011/10/16/l ... -monitors/. However, the Put option did not work and I removed Compiz using the Software Manager. Now I tried to add the two shortcuts described over again. Then the problem started...

So, any suggestions getting the "Custom Shortcuts" settings behave normally again?

And: if anybody has a suggestion to make Compiz - Windows Management - Put work it would also be nice...

Best regards
globus68
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
globus68

Re: Custom keyboard shortcuts saves one shortcut many times

Post by globus68 »

Found the solution myself:
Install dconf-editor
Go to org.cinnamon.keybindings
Click Set to Default
Problem solved
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

I'm having the same problem

I tried your method, but I can't find org.cinnamon.keybindings

Please help :)
globus68

Post by globus68 »

Are you using Cinnamon?

Opening dconf-editor and expanding "org", further expanding "cinnamon" and clicking "keybindings" should reveal a list called "custom-list" with items like custom0, custom1, custom2 etc. Down right is a button "Set to Default" Click this button and it should be fixed.

If no org --> cinnamon --> keybindings, I can't help, I'm afraid

Good luck!
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

Yeah I'm using linux mint 16 cinnamon..
No luck.. thanks though..
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

I found a solution!!!

delete then file at ~/.config/dconf
and just manually set the shortcuts there
this will remove all existing shortcuts, and possibly more preferences, but hey it works!

When everything works, just make sure to save that file to back it up, and that way you can keep your keyboard shortcuts if you upgrade or do a fresh install
globus68

Post by globus68 »

Excellent!!!!

Doing a backup now, myself
mattst
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mattst »

EDIT:

Please note that I have now turned the post below into a detailed tutorial, which has more information and is much better written. It is in the tutorials section of this forum.

Cinnamon Custom Keyboard Shortcuts Fix: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &p=1126536

Hi,

Using: Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Cinnamon 64-bit 2.2.16

I had the same problem but came up with a different solution.

This advice:
globus68 wrote:Found the solution myself:
Install dconf-editor
Go to org.cinnamon.keybindings
Click Set to Default
Problem solved
Actually means to set the custom-list key to the default, which will result in losing all the custom keys you've already got.

Code: Select all

custom-list before setting to default looks something like this:

['custom0', 'custom1', 'custom2', 'custom3', 'custom4']

custom-list after setting to default you get an empty list like this:

[]
I noticed that my list had the 'wrong' order and a duplicate entry:

['custom0', 'custom1', 'custom3', 'custom4', 'custom2', 'custom2']
So I opened Cinnamon settings, went to the keyboard shortcuts and deleted the new shortcut that I'd added, and then found that the duplicate had gone but in its place was a totally blank entry, I clicked on that and deleted it. Then I added the first of the new shortcuts that I wanted but not a second.

Then I restarted dconf-editor, went to org.cinnamon.keybindings and found that the custom-list key was now:

['custom0', 'custom1', 'custom3', 'custom4', 'custom2']
I copied and pasted it into a text editor and changed it to:

['custom0', 'custom1', 'custom2', 'custom3', 'custom4']
and then copied and pasted it back into the org.cinnamon.keybindings custom-list value.

Finally I restarted Cinnamon settings, went to the keyboard shortcuts and could now add as many new custom shortcuts as I wanted successfully in the usual way with no problems. The ordering of the custom shortcuts had changed but I was expecting that.

NOTE:

If attempting this fix make sure you keep what custom-list was before starting, in a saved file, in case you make a mistake and need to put it back later.

You must close and restart dconf-editor and Cinnamon settings between changes or the programs won't update the changes you've made.

I actually simplified what custom-list held in my description above, for the purposes of explanation. I actually had 25 shortcuts and the problematic list was long, going up to 25 with x2 21 entries at the end.

['custom0', 'custom1', 'custom2', 'custom3', 'custom4', 'custom5', 'custom6', 'custom7', 'custom8', 'custom9', 'custom10', 'custom11', 'custom12', 'custom13', 'custom14', 'custom15', 'custom16', 'custom17', 'custom18', 'custom19', 'custom20', 'custom22', 'custom23', 'custom24', 'custom25', 'custom21', 'custom21']
Clearly it was easier to show what I did with much shorter list examples.

I hope this helps anyone searching for a solution and finds this thread as I did.

Return to “Cinnamon”