Desktop icon positions - two resolutions

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrpg

Desktop icon positions - two resolutions

Post by mrpg »

Dear All,

I am using Linux Mint 15 Cinnamom on a Laptop.

And i have a 22" Monitor at work, but at home i only use the laptops internal screen.

I have a lot of icons / application launchers on my desktop, i allign and position all icons where i want them, but when i change resolution (i,e when using the 22" monitor or internal laptop screen) the icons positions gets all messed up, i,e i have to reposition all icons each time i change resolution.

Is there a solution to this? , on windows there is a nifty program called "Desktop Restore" that you can save the icons position for each resolution you use, is there something similar for Gnome/Cinnamon?

Any input is very appriciated,

Br
PG
mrpg

Re: Desktop icon positions - two resolutions

Post by mrpg »

Hi,

Seems i am the only one with this setup? , or do you guys just live with this issue?
AUserInEssex

Post by AUserInEssex »

I have the same - or a similar - problem; I don't change screen resolution, but I have hit 'align' by mistake and consequently I desire a tool to save and restore icon positions. Anyone, please?
tenry

Post by tenry »

I recently encountered that issue on Mint 17.1 when I changed my desktop resolution to a lower one for a fullscreen game. On Mint 16, possibly also 17, 15 etc., there is a file in "~/.config/nemo" ("~" is your home directory) named "desktop-metadata", that seems to store the desktop icon positions. So, before you change your desktop resolution, copy that file to another place as a backup. After you are back to your original or higher resolution, copy that file back to its original location, overriding the file there.

I haven't tried it, maybe nemo (the file manager, that is usually responsible for the desktop icons) doesn't reload the configuration automatically. Maybe it works by restarting nemo.
detlef
Level 1
Level 1

Post by detlef »

:D Thank you very much! Saving the file "~/.config/nemo" and after losing icon positions restoring ~/.config/nemo and then restart nemo-desktop restores my icon positions. For restarting nemo-desktop, I stop it with the "Systemüberwachung" (don't know, how it is named in english, it may be translated as "system monitoring"). Normally nemo-desktop restarts at once automatically. If not, I start it via terminal. This terminal has to stay.
I use Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64Bit.
Changing the resolution does not harm the icon positions, if they are not outside the shown area. But I have a nvidia grafic card and if I change the primary monitor to the other monitor, I always lose the icon positions.

Return to “Cinnamon”