Problems switching users

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tisse

Problems switching users

Post by tisse »

Hi,

I've just installed linux mint 16 cinnamon and I've problems when switching users (I've several users on my system).

When I log in with only one user is ok but when I try to switch user it often crashes and all I see is a black screen with a terminal login prompt. I don't really know where to start searching for the error...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kiwi8sully
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problems switching users

Post by kiwi8sully »

Hi tisse,

Have you had any luck with this? I think I am having the same or simmilar problem. When I try to switch users I can log in as another user but then cinnamon crashes when i return to the first logged in users desktop. I can restart cinnamon by right clicking where the panel used to be and selecting 'Open a terminal here' then entering cinnamon --replace. But its getting to be a bit of a pain.

The terminal from the command cinnamon --replace shows the following ( edited by me to show when in the process I have clicked on which button )

Code: Select all

cinnamon --replace
p      JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
      JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Tue Jan 07 2014 22:29:56 GMT+1300 (NZDT)

(cinnamon:16467): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to remove actor of type 'StIcon' from group of class 'CinnamonGenericContainer', but the container is not the actor's parent.

(cinnamon:16467): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to remove actor of type 'StIcon' from group of class 'CinnamonGenericContainer', but the container is not the actor's parent.
      JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)
      JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active

################## Clicked the user applet #################

(cinnamon:16467): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to remove actor of type 'StBoxLayout' from group of class 'StBoxLayout', but the container is not the actor's parent.

(cinnamon:16467): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to remove actor of type 'StBoxLayout' from group of class 'StBoxLayout', but the container is not the actor's parent.

############### Clicked Switch user ############

(cinnamon:16467): Cogl-ERROR **: Failed to create an OpenGL framebuffer object
Trace/breakpoint trap
I am thinking that
Cogl-ERROR **: Failed to create an OpenGL framebuffer object Trace/breakpoint trap
might be the culprit and found this https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2237 but I dont know where else to track this down

My specs are:

3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: #### Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
           Desktop: Gnome  (Gtk 3.8.7) Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8Z68-V GEN3 version: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 3603 date: 11/09/2012
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-2500K CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 26398.6 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 660 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org: 1.14.3 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.20 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1160.2GB (35.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1002FAEX size: 1000.2GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD1600AAJS size: 160.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 147G used: 6.9G (5%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 886G used: 375G (45%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 34.36GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: 29.8C gpu: 0.0:35C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 215 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 1786.3/7953.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.20

I hope someone can help cause its a bit of a deal breaker having to log out all the time
tisse

Post by tisse »

Hi,
I had a look at the following issue (same error message that I have...)
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=154358

cinnamon-session[1642]: CRITICAL: csm_manager_set_phase: assertion 'CSM_IS_MANAGER (manager)' failed
cinnamon-session[1642]: Gtk-CRITICAL: gtk_main_quit: assertion 'main_loops != NULL' failed
So I'll try to update the kernel now and see if it gets any better.
tisse

Post by tisse »

Now I've updated the kernel and when I did that I was forced to use the Nouveau driver. Then it seemed to work much better and the login-logout is much more stable.

But after that I wanted to test a bit more so I went back to the old kernel 3.11 and updated the nvidia driver to 331.20. This is also stable so it seem (to me at least) that there are some problem with the Nvidia 319 driver.
kiwi8sully
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwi8sully »

I have upgraded also since my last post 'xserver-xorg-core' from
Version: 2:1.14.3-3ubuntu2
to
Version: 2:1.14.5-1ubuntu2~saucy1

and reinstalled the Nvidia 331.20 binary module

It seems better but still has some bugs. eg I can switch users most of the time but sometimes the first user gets logged out or the session crashes.

Which kernel are you on now? perhaps I will try that.
prof_braino

Post by prof_braino »

This issue ocurs on Mint Petra 64 with MATE
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Plymouth does not seem stable with Mate. I had the same black screen of death with LMDE Mate. I seem to have resolved the problem by adding nomodeset to the GRUB boot options. On another system I deleted the splash boot option to provide further stability otherwise the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+Alt+Fx) for toggling between users get all mixed up.
Forthay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Forthay »

I am also experiencing problems on Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit.
When I try to switch user I often encounter a blank screen problem.
I can usually get back to the first user using ctrl alt F7 or ctrl alt F8.
Sometimes I see the folowing on an otherwise blank screen:
* starting ClamAV virus database updater freshclaom [ok]
* speech-dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher [ok]
Staring VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Sabed disable; edit /etc/default/saned
* Restoring resolver state... [ok]

To resolve the problem I have to do ctrl alt F1, login and shutdown from CLI, shutting down from the GUI does not work.
I would be happy to use a different login manager in the GUI as the one I used on an older Mint with Mate worked better.

Forthay

Return to “Cinnamon”