Desktop icons disappear but reappear after opening file mana

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop icons disappear but reappear after opening file mana

Post by kingsthane »

Weird one. If I open two file manager windows side by side to transfer files, quite often when I close one of the two windows (such as after ejecting a usb stick) the other file manager window will also close and I lose all of the Desktop icons. The Desktop background remains along with the menu bars and panels. But thats all. However if I then open a new file manager gui window, all of my Desktop icons reappear. I'm running mint installed from scratch from the linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-64bit dvd on an amd machine. Using Oracle java 7 with Oracle java in my repos if that makes any difference (cannot use open jdk due to compatibility problems with another program I run.) All available updates for my copy of mint have been installed and I also use the recommended-by-mint nvidia driver. Have reinstalled the nvidia driver and there is no difference in the problematic behaviour. Other than these variations my installation is fairly vanilla. The only difference from a basic, default installation is that I kept my old /home partition. None of the partitions on the machine are close to running out of space - lots of headroom there. Befuddled at present I'm afraid.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bwat47

Re: Desktop icons disappear but reappear after opening file

Post by bwat47 »

I'm seeing same thing on a completely clean install.
lapinduroi

Post by lapinduroi »

I switched from Mint 15 mate to Mint 16 Cinnamon (both 64bit) and have same thing on my Notebook computer - Intel graphics chip. I had little glitches like this with Cinnamon in v. 14 and 15 when tried on home machines; Mate was 100% functional. Hoped Cinnamon 2 had worked out some of these kinks ... hoping this is a glitch that can be fixed ... otw I love Cinnamon, but loosing icons is not helpful on machine I use for work...
kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingsthane »

I'm still having the same problem as well. Just built another machine and installed mint 16 64bit on it. Doing file transfers from my older, main computer. I'm finding that if I have more than one instance of file manager open to drag and drop files, then even if I wait for a short period after ejecting the usb sticks and waiting for their activity lights to go out in closing, quite often all of my desktop icons disappear and the only way to get them back is to open another session of file manager.
borris

Post by borris »

I have icons disappearing and never returning. The alternate click on the mouse also reveals no menu. Is this considered a Cinnamon "crash"?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

borris wrote:I have icons disappearing and never returning. The alternate click on the mouse also reveals no menu. Is this considered a Cinnamon "crash"?
You could try refreshing Cinnamon.
Alt-F2 > r
or
Right-click on the Panel > Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
borris

Post by borris »

Thanks. The Alt+F2 is great, however I'm not sure of what commands I can run there.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

By default, the file manager also manages the desktop (icons and desktop right-click). Hence it is probably a Nemo segfault, not a Cinnamon crash. So, when you start a new instance of Nemo, the desktop icons and menus will be back.

BTW, you should be able to open/close a two-panel view inside any Nemo/Caja window by pressing "F3".

Return to “Cinnamon”