Cinnamon memory leak!!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Cinnamon memory leak!!!

Post by nomko »

Hi everybody,

As some others and myself found out, there's a hugh memory leak in Cinnamon. It cannot be denied, not even by the Mint development team. I started running system monitor last night and took some screenshots from that point on.

Here's the result:

Screenshot 1: started at Monday 16 December at 21:08 => memory usage Cinnamon: 254 mb.
Screenshot 2: started at Monday 16 December at 22:48 => memory usage Cinnamon: 323,9 mb.
Screenshot 3: started at Tuesday 17 December at 07:10 => memory usage Cinnamon: 447,1 mb.
Screenshot 4: started at Tuesday 17 December at 18:10 => memory usage Cinnamon: 647,3 mb.

As you can see on the screenshots, the same services/applications were running on the background. It cannot be denied that there's a serious problem with Cinnamon regarding memory usage. In less than 24 hours the memory consumption of Cinnamon grew by 2.5 times! With the same services/applications running in the background, system was idle, nothing running else. System was idle during night and daytime as nobody touched the system/used the system. It's even noticeable that Cinnamon eats more and more memory since the system get's slower and slower and respond slower and slower. Although Cinnamon is a great desktop environment, i recommend the Mint team to take a serious good look at this!

Mint team: fix this for the next release!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon memory leak!!!

Post by xenopeek »

Please report Cinnamon issues to the Cinnamon developers. You're posting this in the support forum.

The Cinnamon developers have a good guide up on the wiki for what to do with issues you find: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/w ... leshooting. Please as described there see if somebody else has already posted a similar issue or whether you can reproduce your issue running the nightly build of Cinnamon; it might already be known and/or fixed.
bobafetthotmail

Post by bobafetthotmail »

you sure it's not a desklet or panel addon issue?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Good point. In the past there have been some applets and themes that caused problems because those had memory leaks. It shouldn't been an issue in the certified ones I think.

So, using only default Linux Mint theme and only default applets and no desklets, is this issue still there? Else indeed it's just an issue in one of the ones you added, so would then need to be reported to its developer instead.
nomko

Post by nomko »

The only desklet i'm using is the accuweather desklet.

But i'll re-install Cinnamon again and see what's happens then, now the memory usage exceeded 700 mb.....
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

I have a memory leak caused by viewing lots of images with EOG in Cinnamon, though it's not as bad as it used to be with Cinnamon 1.8.8.
nomko

Post by nomko »

clfarron4 wrote:hough it's not as bad as it used to be with Cinnamon 1.8.8.
I do not agree with this opinion. It is as worse/bad as under Cinnamon 1.6.x and 1.8.x. It 's really a serious thing to look at. The mint team really need to fix this because it's just not normal that Cinnamon consumes large amounts of memory by doing nothing.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

nomko wrote:
clfarron4 wrote:hough it's not as bad as it used to be with Cinnamon 1.8.8.
I do not agree with this opinion. It is as worse/bad as under Cinnamon 1.6.x and 1.8.x. It 's really a serious thing to look at. The mint team really need to fix this because it's just not normal that Cinnamon consumes large amounts of memory by doing nothing.
Please add your experiences to this thread on the Github if it is general memory leaks: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2343
Please add your experiences to this thread on the Github if it is memory leaks from viewing images: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2426
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

Seems that there are still a few niggles ripe for fixin' in time for 17, then!!

We know you can do it, Mint team! *waves flag*
nomko

Post by nomko »

Okay, Before x-mas i did a clean/fresh/new install of Mint 16. Read: Wiped the disc with Gparted, installed Mint, no applets installed, no desklets installed, no programs installed, no updates, no to anything else!! Just a fresh/clean/new/virgin installation.

This is the result after letting my system run over x-mas:

Screenshot 1: Memory used by Cinnamon: 62.7 mb
Screenshot 2: Memory used by Cinnamon: 96.2 mb
Screenshot 3: Memory used by Cinnamon: 107.7 mb
Screenshot 4: Memory used by Cinnamon: 122.7 mb
Screenshot 5: Memory used by Cinnamon: 115.4 mb
Screenshot 6: Memory used by Cinnamon: 163.8 mb

As you can see, over 24 hours the amount of memory used almost tripled. And this is a clean/fresh/new installation. The only conclusion that can be drawn here is that Cinnamon does have a memory leak!

Mint team: Please fix this!
Harley Sporster

Post by Harley Sporster »

Hi. I was wondering if you ever resolved your memory leak in Mint 16. I have a fresh install and it's my only issue so far but really frustrating.

Thanks
nomko

Post by nomko »

Harley Sporster wrote:Hi. I was wondering if you ever resolved your memory leak in Mint 16. I have a fresh install and it's my only issue so far but really frustrating.

Thanks
Nope. I didn't. And this is also the main reason for me stop using Mint. As long this is not fixed, i refuse using Mint.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I'm running Manjaro 0.8.9 with Cinnamon for a couple of days and i must say till now there's no memory leak to be detected. After a couple of days running the amount of memory used by Cinnamon is around 130 MB and stays around 130 MB. This confirms my suspicion of Cinnamon leaking memory under Mint.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Exact same Cinnamon version? Manjaro might have a newer version, where some issue you had has been fixed. I doubt the Manjaro developers have made any adjustments to the Cinnamon source code themselves, as Manjaro takes packages from Arch Linux and Arch Linux sticks as close as possible to upstream--so unmodified Cinnamon source code.

If you're running the exact same version, are you also using the exact same applets and themes and such? Some of the applets and themes might introduce memory leaks if badly written.
nomko

Post by nomko »

xenopeek wrote:Exact same Cinnamon version? Manjaro might have a newer version
Manjaro has the latest Cinnamon version.
, where some issue you had has been fixed. I doubt the Manjaro developers have made any adjustments to the Cinnamon source code themselves, as Manjaro takes packages from Arch Linux and Arch Linux sticks as close as possible to upstream--so unmodified Cinnamon source code.

If you're running the exact same version, are you also using the exact same applets and themes and such? Some of the applets and themes might introduce memory leaks if badly written.
I run the same desklets as with Mint 16 Cinnamon. No memory leakages.
Last edited by nomko on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Return to “Cinnamon”