Make nemo default

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eightwt
Level 1
Level 1

Make nemo default

Post by eightwt »

I've installed Mint 15 Cinnamon and nemo installed as the default file manager. So then I install a "places" app in the Panel and Dropbox. Now when I select a "place" from the panel or open Dropbox they want to open with Nautilus instead of Nemo, though Nemo does launch from the desktop icons. I've scoured the forums, etc. for instructions on how to make Nemo the default file manager, but none of the suggestions work.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Make nemo default

Post by Fornhamfred »

If you right click the icon in the panel and select edit the command should be nemo %U

With regard to dropbox I would suggest that you may have installed the nautilus-dropbox package instead of the nemo version.
eightwt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eightwt »

Thanks for the suggestions. Who knew there was a nemo version of dropbox??

But... There is no configuration for the panel applet to change how it behaves and when I went to install the nemo version of dropbox it reported that I already had the nemo version!!!!
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I would suggest opening the package manager and doing a complete removal of the dropbox package that you have installed and then reinstall the nemo package. Also make sure that nautilus is not installed. If it is remove it.

You say you added a places app to the panel. How did you do it?
eightwt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eightwt »

Removed dropbox, removed nautilus, reinstalled dropbox. I should have referred to the Places app as an applet. I added it from System Settings > Preferences > Applets. Further investimagation shows that ANYTHING that calls for file manager from the Cinnamon Panel will launch Nautilus. Doesn't matter if it's Dropbox, Places, Thrash, whatever. I looked at the js code for the Places applet and saw that it calls xdg-open. I tried setting the default file manager for xdg-open as nemo, but that didn't do the trick. There has to be something that I'm missing.

One clue: This was a full install of Mint 15. However I was previously running Mint 10 on this machine. My $HOME is on a separate partition. All my previous setting are there and could be interfering with the Cinnamon Panel settings.
Dee'Kej

Post by Dee'Kej »

This was already being solved in similar topic here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=121117

For me, the solution from blog post below worked well:
http://www.fandigital.com/2013/01/set-n ... buntu.html

I hope it will finally help you. ;)

Return to “Cinnamon”