Cinnamon 2.0 maximize with keyboard?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gsgrego

Cinnamon 2.0 maximize with keyboard?

Post by gsgrego »

I love the new snap features but it seems you can no longer maximize a window with the keyboard or I at least cannot find the shortcut or setting to do so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jintawk

Re: Cinnamon 2.0 maximize with keyboard?

Post by jintawk »

Just go to 'System Settings > Keyboard' and change them however you like.

Maximise is found in 'Windows > Maximise window'.
gen0

Post by gen0 »

I don't want to whine, Cinnamon is really nice overall - but on this point it feels like a step backward.

An existing feature for something that's commonly (maximising a window) has been crippled in favour of something that's done more rarley (tiling to one quarter of the screen). Changing the Super-Up shortcut to Maximise Window only fixes the problem at the expense of the new tiling feature, as it's now not possible to use the keyboard to 'tile' a window to an upper corner of the screen anymore.

Ideally, the Windows-Up key combination should be 'smart', so that it can maximise a window by default, but 'push tile up' if the window is already maximised or tiled to the left or right half of the screen.

Just my 2c.
jintawk

Post by jintawk »

Whine all you like, I fully agree!

Definitely needs a rethink in my opinion, if you come up with anything you can suggest it here:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues
phishsauce

Post by phishsauce »

Alt + F10 works for me to Toggle between maximize and "regular" state.
choward

Post by choward »

For me if the window is in the state where it takes up the top half of the screen, pressing super + up will maximize it.

Return to “Cinnamon”