Virtual Desktops / Multiple Desktops Mint Desktop Manager

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fasterfind

Virtual Desktops / Multiple Desktops Mint Desktop Manager

Post by fasterfind »

Bottom line: If someone wants virtual desktops in Mint, in under five minutes, what do they do?
Virtual desktops: Managing (switching between) multiple 'screens/desktops' that contain your program windows. Native to Linux.

After approximately two hours of research, I installed Compiz, which turned out to be incompatible with Mint because the Mint 'Desktop Environment' is 'Cinnamon', which is based on 'Gnome'.
This environment uses Muffin as a 'windows manager', which is based on Compiz.. meaning that support for fully qualified virtual desktops should be native.
I.e. it's already there. I can have multiple desktops right now.

New question: How?
I have googled extensively, and read the manual. No dice.

Update Edit: A few more hours of googling has taught me that 'desktops' are called 'workspaces' in Linux.
You'll never find mention in the manual, and there is presently no Wiki for Mint.

If you want to have virtual desktops in less than five minutes, do this:
Hold CTRL and press the right or left arrow to switch desktops.

Now, what remains for me is learning how to manage the 'desktop manager', however there appears to be no manual.
New bottom line question: I don't want to spend three hours to learn something that should take three minutes. Google didn't help, the manual was too basic, there's no wiki... Where/how does one quickly learn how to use Mint?
zathrasgb

Re: Virtual Desktops / Multiple Desktops Mint Desktop Manage

Post by zathrasgb »

Try holding down the control and atl keys and pressing the left or right arrow key. If that does not work, try thr up or down arrow key instead.
fredaz

Re: Virtual Desktops / Multiple Desktops Mint Desktop Manager

Post by fredaz »

you may be looking for a workspace switcher app. in Mint v17, right click on bar at the bottom and choose "add to panel" and then scroll thru until you find at the bottom "work space switcher". This is probably what you are used to seeing in other systems.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Virtual Desktops / Multiple Desktops Mint Desktop Manager

Post by Moem »

This thread is so old it has a beard down to its knees. I'm locking it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Cinnamon”