Keyboard Shortcuts and scrot aren't playing nice

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dariusk

Keyboard Shortcuts and scrot aren't playing nice

Post by dariusk »

Hi everyone,

I just switched to Mint/Cinnamon from Ubuntu/Gnome and I'm trying to port a little script that I use all the time. Here's the script:

Code: Select all

name=`/bin/dbus-uuidgen`
/usr/bin/scrot -s /home/dariusk/Pictures/$name.png
cd /home/dariusk/Pictures
/usr/bin/scp $name.png [myServerInfo]
It's pretty simple: it generates a UUID, uses "scrot -s" to prompt me to make a selection with the mouse, grabs that section of the screen, saves it to [uuid].png, and uploads it to my web server.

The script works from the command line, but when I bind the command to a keyboard shortcut, it appears to skip entirely over the "scrot -s" command. It's only with the "-s" command (to capture a manual screen selection) that it fails. If I remove -s, it correctly grabs the entire screen and uploads it.

I'm guessing that Mint doesn't want to delegate the mouse to scrot? Any suggestions on how I can fix this? I tried binding it to several different keys to see if that made a difference, but it doesn't seem to.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DoTheEvolution

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and scrot aren't playing nice

Post by DoTheEvolution »

I have exactly the same problem.

scrot works
but the moment I put it with -s parameter(take area screenshot) on a keyboard shortcut its dead.
in console it works no problem, only keyboard shortcuts cant deal with area selections or something
anandrkris

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and scrot aren't playing nice

Post by anandrkris »

I suppose, best checked with developers over IRC on #linuxmint-dev channel in Spotchat.

Update: Was this tested in Cinnamon 2.2? I remember, Cheese and few other application mouse effects were not working earlier and it got fixed.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2307 Cheese does not register clicks in effects panel in Cinnamon

Return to “Cinnamon”