[SOLVED] Broken desktop after removal of gnome-bluetooth

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stevan1986

[SOLVED] Broken desktop after removal of gnome-bluetooth

Post by stevan1986 »

Hi all!

First time poster here - all the problems so far I have been able to solve myself with a little help from google and these forums. However, I did not find a solution for my current problem so I am posting here. If this has already been solved, than please excuse my search skills (or lack of them).

I was trying to set-up a usb bluetooth adapter in Mint 14 (cinnamon, 64-bit) but as soon as I click a discovered device, the add device window disappears. I have tried installing blueman via the software manager, but this did not work as well. I then removed gnome-bluetooth with the software manager and restarted the computer. When I logged back in (login screen works as usual), I was welcomed to a black desktop with only the pointer. I have tried logging into a GNOME session, but there was a black bar on the left side of the screen (1/5th of the width), the mouse was not working properly (I could not right-click, drag the windows around, etc.) and I could not type in certain fields (terminal for example, but chromium works as usual). This is also the case with XFCE session (XFCE4 installed via the software manager). The log-in screen works as it's supposed to, but as soon as I enter into a desktop manager, things go wrong. I can see the cursor at the black bar (I can move my mouse over it) and click on the icons that are below (they are cut-off by the bar and I can see that they are selected when I click on where they are supposed to be under the black bar). Also, Cairo dock appears when I move the cursor to the left edge of the screen (as it's supposed to) on top of the black bar.

I have tried reinstalling the gnome-bluetooth but this did not help. I have also tried removing and cinnamon and reinstalling to no avail. I believe some display config is bad, but I do not see how removing a bluetooth program could have changed this... I have nvidia drivers, if that helps. Also, the virtual machines work fine, i.e. the whole screen is usable.

I would really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post.

As suggested in the "How to get help", here is the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: Linux-MA349-40 Kernel: 3.5.0-39-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2)
Console: tty 1 Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8Z77-V LE PLUS version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 0901 date: 02/25/2013
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-3770K CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28082.3
Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz 5: 1600.00 MHz 6: 1600.00 MHz 7: 1600.00 MHz 8: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 11c6 bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.org: 1.13.0 driver: nvidia tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Audio: Card-1: NVIDIA Device 0e0b driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
Card-2: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1128.2GB (53.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 128.0GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 38G used: 11G (29%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 80G used: 62G (82%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 16.38GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 271 Uptime: 2:24 Memory: 3128.6/15997.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stevan1986

Re: Broken desktop environment after removal of gnome-blueto

Post by stevan1986 »

The problem was definitely with the X server and/or nvidia drivers. I have tried a lot of things suggested throughout the internet, but did not manage to fix it. At one point, the desktop was loaded perfectly and mouse and keyboard were working as well (logged in as root to tty1 and started X server). However, I could not repeat this later. In the end I installed Mint 14 again over the existing root partition and all is well now... :)
Smaggy

Re: [SOLVED] Broken desktop after removal of gnome-bluetooth

Post by Smaggy »

I hate to necro an old thread, but I just did this myself. Was trying to have Blueman be the only controller and removed gnome-bluetooth and it completely borked up my system, leaving me with a black desktop. I could Ctrl-alt-F2 to a terminal and did a sudo apt-get install gnome-bluetooth, effectively undoing what I did and rebooted, but I still have a black desktop with only Teamviewer running.

It's funny how one small component could do so much damage. I guess all I can do is reinstall LM17 and see what happens.

Return to “Cinnamon”