Cinnamon Menu problems

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Cinnamon Menu problems

Post by mdavies5 »

Using new Mint 15 with Cinnamon 1.8. New user moving from Ubuntu 13.04. Very impressed but many issues to be resolved:
1. Many menu items in "Preferences" are duplicated because both Gnome and Cinnamon Control Centers are installed. The Gnome versions work ok but Cinnamon has some problems. I have tested by copying the commands from the menu into a terminal:
"cinnamon-settings sound" works ok but in terminal shows error
Unknown module sound, using cinnamon-control-center.
"cinnamon-control-center sound" brings up Control Center with icons for Region, Bluetooth, Displays, Network, Power, Sound, Universal Access and User Accounts

"cinnamon-settings color" = ok but in terminal shows error
Unknown module color, using cinnamon-control-center

cinnamon-settings region works ok but in terminal shows error
Unknown module region, using cinnamon-control-center. Also shows languages I have never installed. (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian and Spanish.

2. In the Menu Editor I cut some menu items and pasted them into a new Menu. They now showed in the new menu and the source menu(in the editor) so I deleted them from the source menu. I then found it had also deleted them from the new Menu. I think the cut and paste worked so there was only one item but the editor display had not updated.

3. I enabled the Panel Launcher applet and added some items from the menu. With the Panel Edit mode off I found that it was still possible to move the applet items and when they were dropped they overwrote the item where they were dropped. When I tried to delete one of these items it actually deleted it's neighbour. I'll try and make this clearer. If you click on an item(eg Firefox) at speed and your mouse cursor is not perfectly still then Firefox will be copied over it's neighbour(eg Thunderbird) rather than activated. If you highlight the new Firefox icon and select "edit" it will confirm this is a Firefox launcher. If you now delete it then it disappears and Thunderbird no longer exists.

None of these issues are fatal but I hope the developers can fix them to make the best Linux even better.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheers, Mike
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cinnamon Menu problems

Post by mdavies5 »

Update to problem 2:
If you cut and paste a menu item from one menu to another, it works like copy and paste. If you want to remove it from the original menu then just uncheck the "Show" option.
If you copy and paste you will have 2 identical menu items in the source menu. It is then difficult to know which one to delete as it may affect the item in the target menu. Better not to use this option.

Problem 3. Thanks to r0p01ach for applet "Launchers Draggable Switch". It is essential to install this applet if you use the Launchers applet. It prevents launchers being accidentally dragged while clicking. When you want to move launchers you can switch dragging back on. Just be careful to drop the launcher at the end of the launcher applet, or between 2 other launchers. DO NOT drop it directly on top of another launcher. A safer option might be to use dconf-editor.org.cinnamon/panel-launchers. Here to can remove, add or re-organise your launchers.

Now, if I can just find a way to make my "Favourites" icons smaller then I will have the perfect desktop :D
Cheers, Mike
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Is there perhaps some way to automatically disable "show" when you cut & paste? When you have a lot of apps to move around it gets a bit annoying/confusing when you have to keep hunting for the app you just moved right after...

EDIT: nvm got that behaviour by making the first click the "show"option.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

I just tested this on Mint 17 and LMDE. It seems that if you delete one menu item then it will delete all identical menu items. When you cut and paste it probably just creates a link to a common file. How often do you need to keep re-arranging your menu items? It may be a task first time but not much after.
Cheers, Mike

Return to “Cinnamon”