volume control icon is missing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kkruecke

volume control icon is missing

Post by kkruecke »

I've just updated from Mint 14 to 15, and now I am missing the volume control slider from the panel. It was there in mint 14. I am able to hear audio when I play youtube videos.

Also when I go to Menu->Preferences->Sound->Output, I don't see any output sound devices listed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: volume control icon is missing

Post by homerscousin »

Hey, help us to help you. Which desktop? If you are running KDE, I'll take a look. I know only Mate and Cinnamon 15 are released and not KDE. Just trying to get a little more info to make life with Linux a little simpler.
kkruecke

Post by kkruecke »

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I'm using Cinnamon, version 1.8.8
kkruecke

Post by kkruecke »

I installed mate-core and mate-desktop-environment, to test whether, aftering logging into a MATE session, add the Volume control. That worked fine. Still don't know why the Volume Control doesn't appear in Cinnamon.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Hi, I think you can add the applet "Sound" to your Cinnamon panel. It should have been there by default.
kkruecke

Post by kkruecke »

Yes, it there by default but it doesn't display. The problems seems bigger than a missing volume control. With Mint 15, my internal laptop speakers don't work. I can only get sound through the speaker/headphone jack. The only way to globally increase the volume is to open a terminal and run alsamixer.
With MATE I can add the volume icon but the internal speakers don't work. Looks like LM 15 is a bust.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RaringRingtail/ ... tes#Kernel

FYI the all-new kernel update 3.8.0-25 is supposed to address these issues.
kkruecke

Post by kkruecke »

Is that kernel version released? I did apt-get update && apt-geet upgrade after installing LM15.

I've since reinstalled LM14 and the sound icon is there, and my internal speakers work.
writeonmatt

Post by writeonmatt »

My volume control is missing too. Sound comes out but it suddenly decreased on its own... and all this happened after I installed Skype. I didn't think about that until I noticed someone else had the same problem after installing Skype. Have more tinkering to do myself to fix but it's not a serious problem yet.

Return to “Cinnamon”