White dropshadows around windows? Cinnamon or Intel bug?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rkmugen

White dropshadows around windows? Cinnamon or Intel bug?

Post by rkmugen »

I recently installed Mint 15 Cinnamon on my machine (my specs are detailed in my signature below). I was surprised to see how much faster it performs compared to Cinnamon in "Linux Mint Debian Edition". Best of all, EVERYTHING shows up on the screen, unlike when I tried Mint 13 and Mint 14 Cinnamon. :D

So, yeah, everything seems to be working, but I don't know why I'm seeing white dropshadows around my windows. I tried changing the theme to something else and even installed more themes, but this bug remains constant, regardless of what theme I choose.

Here's a screenshot:
[url=http://www.imagebam.com/image/40d7fc259215465][img]http://thumbnails104.imagebam.com/25922/40d7fc259215465.jpg[/img][/url]

As you can see, the panel at the bottom has a black dropshadow, which is correct (i believe). I can't be sure if this is a bug that's specific to Cinnamon 1.8.x or my graphics hardware (Intel 82852/855GM; aka "i915"). Also, if it matters, note that I am indeed using the 3.8.x kernel. I have also applied all the available updates from the Update Manager.

Here's more info on my graphics hardware:

Code: Select all

rkmugen@v2000 ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 852GM/855GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
As for my xserver-xorg-video-intel, I'm using version (2:2.21.6-0ubuntu4). I should also point out that after a fresh install of Mint 15 Cinnamon, and booting off of the hard drive, I was taken to a Cinnamon fallback session, where I was stuck with 15/16-bit color. I got around this by creating an xorg.conf file and setting my default depth to 24-bit color. After rebooting, I was able to start the normal Cinnamon session.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rkmugen

Re: White dropshadows around windows? Cinnamon or Intel bug

Post by rkmugen »

[url=http://www.imagebam.com/image/f3f8c7270649647][img]http://thumbnails103.imagebam.com/27065/f3f8c7270649647.jpg[/img][/url]
  • Cinnamon 1.8.8 + Linux Mint 13 + Intel 855GM (using "xserver-xorg-video-intel" version 2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4.4)
As seen in my most recent screenshot, posted above, I'm very disappointed to say that this problem of white dropshadows.... and now with the panel menu totally lacking any type of colored background, exists with Cinnamon 1.8.8, even on Linux Mint 13. I'm pretty sure I have the most recent Intel driver installed (via Synaptic)... and I'm NOT using the "Raring" or "Quantal" LTS releases of the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver. I'm also fairly certain that I'm not using any type of "Gallium" or "llvm" or any type of software rendering.

My other problem when I was using Cinnamon on Mint 15 was how I couldn't get any type of hardware rendering, even when I created an xorg.conf file (whereas in Mint 13, I don't need an xorg.conf to get hardware rendering). In fact, Mint 15 forces me to use Gallium and llvm out-of-the-box, and any attempt to downgrade MESA to 8.0.4 doesn't seem to want to stick.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can try? I really would like to be able to get Cinnamon working properly on this old hardware, but with everything I've tried so far, there's no way I know of to tell whether this bug is strictly Cinnamon's fault or Intel's fault.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

rkmugen wrote: Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can try? I really would like to be able to get Cinnamon working properly on this old hardware, but with everything I've tried so far, there's no way I know of to tell whether this bug is strictly Cinnamon's fault or Intel's fault.
@rkmugen:

Hello again . . . I wish there was a way to help you, but maybe the only way is to say that I have left Cinnamon to those who don't mind the glitches and I have moved to XFCE 64 bit . . . and things have been much, much better . . . not entirely problem free, but, workable . . . I added the cairo-dock . . . somebody else mentioned "skippy" something and it seems like that might provide hot corners . . . . It's not as flashy as Cinnamon, but not as crashy either . . . . But both are indeed much better than LMDE . . . which seemed to implode in LM13 with every update/upgrade--the Main edition is much better cared for . . . .

Best of luck,

e.e.p.
MacPro '12 multiboot various linux OSs with some aging OSX's . . . .
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

este.el.paz wrote: Hello again . . . I wish there was a way to help you, but maybe the only way is to say that I have left Cinnamon to those who don't mind the glitches and I have moved to XFCE 64 bit . . . and things have been much, much better . . . not entirely problem free, but, workable . . . I added the cairo-dock . . . somebody else mentioned "skippy" something and it seems like that might provide hot corners . . . . It's not as flashy as Cinnamon, but not as crashy either . . . . But both are indeed much better than LMDE . . . which seemed to implode in LM13 with every update/upgrade--the Main edition is much better cared for . . . .

Best of luck,

e.e.p.
Hey EEP! It's certainly been a while... been pretty silent at the MintPPC forums lately...

Anyway, yeah... I think XFCE's great, and for the momnent, it is the only D.E. I'm using on all my Linux hardware (PPC Mac & PC). There are times, though, when using XFCE feels a lot like Windows 2000 or XP, no matter how I modify it... which is just 'okay'... though it just feels a bit dated. There are a quite a few things I like about Cinnamon over XFCE, but without drawing-out my reply to go on and on, I guess I could just say that I'm kind of out-growing XFCE a bit. If only XFCE could adopt or even adapt some of the stuff that Cinnamon has (and still work on my hardware).

Not to bash anyone who works directly on or with LMDE, I would say that can agree with you... but I would also go so far as to say that LMDE with either XFCE or Cinnamon is pretty much like garbage on my Compaq V2000, compared to the "Main" editions (based on Ubuntu). It's kinda sad though, because Debian+XFCE runs like a charm on my old PPC iMac.... I know, i know, it's not comparing Apples-to-apples, or oranges-to-oranges... but still...
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

@rkmugen:

Agreed, Cinnamon comes very close, and I've tried it in a couple versions, and when its good its really good. I guess if I had another computer that I could just have for playing with Cinnamon . . . but two problems I've noticed and others have as well . . . maybe more, but they go hand in hand . . . LM is pushing Cinnamon as its finest DE which in theory it is, but, there are problems, and to make it more exquisite (and as evidenced by you posting to your self here on this thread) . . . no devs or the higher echelon tech guys who seem to post quite a bit in where? "Newbie questions" . . . don't seem to post here in "Cinnamon" to offer help that could fix what are most likely . . . bugs . . . . So, it just makes it a DIY project, but, perhaps it could move the Cinn project forward if there was a feedback loop . . . instead, we just post to ourselves . . . and perhaps at some point those problems might get some attention for the next version . . . .

In the meanwhile, even with XFCE, LM seems to put out the best Linux package . . . at some point maybe Cinn will be use-able as a "turn-key" system . . . meaning "plug n' play" without too much tweaking . . . but for now there are just too many little problems that no one is offering help on fixing for me . . . . If I had more technical chops I'd try to suggest something . . . so far in LM I haven't had to use an xorg.conf file . . . once you open that door it might be endless tweaking. These days with Linux I go with a plain jane install . . . if it doesn't work I nuke and pave to something else. Always a new flavor coming down the road. It could be that LM is using too much resources and might be that regular Ubuntu or Xubuntu might run better? I'm in rsavages Xubunut 12.04 in my old PPC iBook right now . . . no eye flash, but it works . . . .

e.e.p.

[Edit, a few minutes later: Thinking about your problem, but not looking at the photos, I am reminded from the MintPPC days that these kinds of window issues are probably related to the xorg.conf file . . . possibly the "refresh rate"??? But, the guy who seemed to have a handle on this was/is "str8bs" and I recall he was offering comment on this type of problem, perhaps over on the Ubuntu forum or even the MintPPC if you were to search his screen name you might find something helpful. You might also compare the stock LM xorg.conf to the one you have created to see what the differences are??? I would try to contact mr str8bs directly, but he seems to have taken his "forumuser" email addy down, the last time I tired to email him . . . it bounced. But, try to search the internet (Google) for his name or check the Ubuntu forums, see if anything there helps you with the problem . . . and hopefully that will get it done.]
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

Alright, with the new Cinnamon 2.0 backported to Linux Mint 13 (Maya), I decided to try it out. Please note, however, that I have since WIPED Linux Mint 15 off of my hard drive and I am currently working off of Linux Mint 13 with all of the latest available updates and upgrades applied (as of 17-December-2013). I am using the same exact hardware as described in my original posting (above) and as seen in my signature (below):
Compaq V2000, Intel 1.5GHz Centrino (this one actually comes with "PAE"), 2GB RAM, and Intel 82852/855GM video (et al.) chipset.

When I pull up the System Info window (Mint Menu:System Settings:Hardware:System info), here's what I see...:
  • Operating System: Linux Mint 13 Xfce 32-bit
  • Cinnamon Version: 2.0.14
  • Linux Kernel: 3.2.0-57-generic
  • Processor: Intel Pentium M processor 1.50GHz
  • Memory: 1.9 GiB
  • Hard Drive: 55.7 GB
  • Graphics Card: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
While I really am using the Intel driver (i915), the version of the xserver-xorg-video-intel package is: 2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4.4

I should also mention that I am NOT using any type of xorg.conf file in (/etc/X11/*). On the other hand, in Linux Mint 14 and 15, the use of an xorg.conf file was absolutely necessary to force the system into 24/32-bit color in order to get Cinnamon-3d to work... but even then, the glitches still persist.

My output for glxinfo | grep -i opengl*:

OpenGL vendor string:  Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string:  Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string:  1.3 Mesa 8.0.4
OpenGL extensions:  
My output for glxinfo | grep -i render*:

direct rendering:  Yes
OpenGL renderer string:  Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM x86/MMX/SSE2
Basically, the following, two big problems persist:
  • *white dropshadows on windows
    *Missing background for the Mint Menu:
    • When I click the "Mint Menu" in the panel, the background of the actual Mint Menu is completely invisible; I can see only the icons and the text. When I hover my mouse over any of the items in the Mint Menu, I actually -DO- see a white, translucent highlighting box around my selection(s).
      (please click the thumbnail to see my screenshot)
At this point, I don't know how to determine exactly WHERE the problem lies... :
  • Is it Cinnamon 2.0?
  • Is it MESA 8.x?
  • Is it the xserver-xorg-video-intel package?
  • Is it a hardware limitation of the 82852/855GM chipset; for the record, this chipset was also referred to as "Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2"?
Is there anything I can do to fix this... or better yet, will it be resolved by the time Linux Mint 17 (LTS) is released?.
jomen

Post by jomen »

... likely none of the above.
For me the issue was the wrong acceleration method (SNA) chosen by default.

I was just trying to install the recent Mint onto a Lifebook S 7010.
No dice since the kernel will not run on that processor - no PAE extension ...

... anyway: I installed the Arch-derivative Manjaro and had similar problems with the graphics card as you describe.
The card is the same.
Cinnamon would not even run.

After a lot of searching and reading I found your post - and this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... and_tricks

I suppose it is similar in Mint/Ubuntu - just create the directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d since it does not exist by default.
Then create the file 20-intel.conf with the following contents:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
The contents might need to be slightly different - not sure if Identifier string can be arbitrary.
For me (Manjaro) that section is in the auto-generated file 90-mhwd.conf
and now reads:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Device0"
   Driver      "intel"
#   Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
   Option      "DRI"    "true"
EndSection
In any case:
The issue was the wrong acceleration method (SNA) chosen by default - this file should override that choice and hopefully fix the issue.
It did for me - but I did not try it using Mint as I said.

HTH
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

rkmugen wrote:
Basically, the following, two big problems persist:
  • *white dropshadows on windows
    *Missing background for the Mint Menu:
    • When I click the "Mint Menu" in the panel, the background of the actual Mint Menu is completely invisible; I can see only the icons and the text. When I hover my mouse over any of the items in the Mint Menu, I actually -DO- see a white, translucent highlighting box around my selection(s).

Is there anything I can do to fix this... or better yet, will it be resolved by the time Linux Mint 17 (LTS) is released?.
@rkmugen:

Just to follow up on your later post, mentioning the issues with the mint menu being "clear" . . . yes . . . I'm in LM16 now with MATE 64 and when I first log in to a session, and then click on the menu I get a "ghost image" of the outline of the drop down menu . . . but, if I click at the top, it disappears, and if I click again the full menu is back with all the applications clearly showing up . . . . So, it's a bit of a pain to have to go through a process to get the menu . . . but it does show up eventually . . . . Other problems still persist, like not being able to log out from the menu w/o going into TTY window, etc . . . . Some things better, some things the same . . . .

e.e.p.
elytron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elytron »

I was going to install LM17 CInnamon, but then noticed that all the shadows are white. I am on a dv1000 series laptop, with the same Intel graphics. Seeking a fix for this issue. Please Note: I also had to add "forcepae" before it would even boot into the live USB.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

elytron wrote:I was going to install LM17 CInnamon, but then noticed that all the shadows are white. I am on a dv1000 series laptop, with the same Intel graphics. Seeking a fix for this issue. Please Note: I also had to add "forcepae" before it would even boot into the live USB.
Homefry:

Don't know if rkmugen got his issue straightened out, but I have posted here to others that personally the XFCE or MATE DE's are more stable options. Cinn is more like bleeding edge, and might be fine for people who know what they are doing in command line to set it up . . . but, for GUI users like myself . . . . I'm over in Xubuntu 14.04 with added MATE DE for my MBPro right now . . . it's fine. But, try to either add the XFCE or MATE DE's and either remove the Cinn aspect and see if it works better for you . . . .

e.e.p.
elytron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elytron »

Thanks for responding. Since the shadows are all wrong, I decided to go and install LM17 MATE on the laptop. If a fix is ever made available, I will install the Cinnamon version next time.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

elytron wrote:Thanks for responding. Since the shadows are all wrong, I decided to go and install LM17 MATE on the laptop. If a fix is ever made available, I will install the Cinnamon version next time.

@elytron:

Good choice . . . the MATE DE is very good . . . and lately it even has the GNOME floating feet screensaver back included!!!! : - ))

e.e.p.

Return to “Cinnamon”