More than two workspaces

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kox

More than two workspaces

Post by Kox »

Hi everyone.
Recently I have install a new version of Linux Mint 15 and faced with the problem.
How to make more than two workspaces in new Cinnamon? In the settings I have not found this option and workspaces are not added automatically.
What I am doing wrong?:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: More than two workspaces

Post by xenopeek »

Just open Expo (hot corner in top left by default, or ctrl+alt+up arrow) and click on the + bar at the right edge of your screen to add a workspace. You can also remove workspaces in Expo, or name them.
Kox

Post by Kox »

xenopeek wrote:Just open Expo (hot corner in top left by default, or ctrl+alt+up arrow) and click on the + bar at the right edge of your screen to add a workspace. You can also remove workspaces in Expo, or name them.
The problem is there is no + bar in the right edge of the screen , as in previous versions.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Then something is wrong; I have it here on Linux Mint 15.
BucolicBuffalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BucolicBuffalo »

For me, I found these hot corners to be an immediate nuisance. So now we have to use Expo to activate our workspaces and be careful every time we approach a corner with our mouse. Not the most brilliant thinking on someone's part. From the first day I thought that this was a bug that would be solved. Now I understand that the workspaces on the panel is not broken. It's a supposed feature I turned off. :roll:
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

You can also use the "dconf-editor" to setup options:
[url=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=230184Capturedu20130607133035.png][img]http://img4.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_230184Capturedu20130607133035.png[/img][/url]
Morenci

Post by Morenci »

It's actually the top left corner if you want to see the + sign on the right. Upper right shows currently open windows, upper left shows the desktops. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Doh :) Thanks, fixed it in above.
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

@kox,

I don't know if you actually found a solution to your problem, but in Linux Mint 15, when you go to the Expo screen, it no longer is a + sign but a > arrow. If you click on the >, it should give you the additional workspaces you're looking for. At least that's how it works on my Mint 15, on which I use four workspaces.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

In Mint 14 MATE you can use CTRL-ALT in combo with left or right arrow to move between 4 workspaces. You can also set keyboard shortcuts for each window if you want.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
hieverybdy

Post by hieverybdy »

I ran into the same problem with my install of Mint 15, but after checking Expo there's neither a "+" nor a ">" or any symbols whatsoever to indicate addition or removal of workspaces. After toying around with keyboard shortcuts while in Expo, I found a way to add or delete workspaces. Using the "+" key (or "Shift" + "=/+") adds a workspace. The "delete" key removes a workspace, and from what I can tell it seems it removes every last one first. So for instance, if you have four workstations--"1, 2, 3, 4"--it'll remove 4 first, then 3, then 2. For some reason, the keyboard shortcuts aren't listed at all in the keyboard settings gui, so it became a matter of trial and error.
netjammr

Post by netjammr »

Thank you hieverybdy!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
I am running Linux Mint 17 w/Cinnamon and your hot key combos worked perfectly for me! Thanks a bunch!

netjammr

Return to “Cinnamon”