Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Booman

Re: Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Post by Booman »

I must have had something conflicting with Nemo before I re-installed Mint 14... now its not having any problems copying large folders with thousands of files.
xazax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xazax »

Try to delete files from ~/.thumbnails/large and ~/.thumbnails/normal and make ~/thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files empty. Does that helps?
gogolink
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gogolink »

xazax wrote:Try to delete files from ~/.thumbnails/large and ~/.thumbnails/normal and make ~/thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files empty. Does that helps?
That didn't help in my case. Deleted some 9000 files from ~/.thumbnails/normal, a much smaller number from ~/.thumbnails/large; didn't find "gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files"; found instead ~/.thumbnails/gnome-thumbnail-factory, which I also emptied.

But Nemo is as slow as ever.
Tyrson

Post by Tyrson »

I agree on this too, there's a noticeable lag while opening directories etc..

I installed Mint on a VM though, maybe it affects it somewhat..
Booman

Post by Booman »

I would be shocked if the slowdown was because of thousands of icons.
I know its a lot of icons, but geesh, shouldn't Nemo be optimized to use them when necessary?
rockhazard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockhazard »

I am experiencing this problem on my laptop (ssd). it's pretty annoying. As far as I can tell, it isn't happening on my desktop machine, but that is running 13 with backports.
pressmanbill

Post by pressmanbill »

I wanted to add my voice here as well.

I just installed Nautilus, and it appears to to take 1/4 to 1/3 the time to load a directory than Nemo. I'm using Mint 14.1 Cinnamon, a fresh installation on a fairly fast machine. 16 GB RAM. For what it's worth, Nautilus uses ~ 15 MiB, and Nemo 64 MiB.

Just installed Thunar as well -- that one is really fast (but, then, I lose the Tabs.).

I hope someone is working on this..... :D
pnneves

Post by pnneves »

Can you please describe the exact steps to install nautilus (and if you uninstalled nemo, also pls).
I'm also using Cinnamon 14.1-32b and I'm really absolutely sick of how nemo is sooooo sssslllloooooowww :P

Thanks in advance!
BR
Booman

Post by Booman »

Honestly, after my re-install of Mint 14 32-bit and updating, I havn't seen the problem. I'm not sure where it started, but I have been successfully copy/paste large directories from my flash drive & fedora server without any problems.
Every time I copy a directory I always wonder if nemo is going to crash and it doesn't.
pressmanbill

Post by pressmanbill »

pnneves wrote:Can you please describe the exact steps to install nautilus (and if you uninstalled nemo, also pls).
I'm also using Cinnamon 14.1-32b and I'm really absolutely sick of how nemo is sooooo sssslllloooooowww :P

Thanks in advance!
BR
Although I wish otherwise, I am not an advanced 'nix user. Which means, I used the standard "Software Manager" to install anything I install, in this case: Thunar.

And also, I left Nemo in place (no un_install) in case it eventually is fixed. I have found no conflicts.

However, I found Krusader quite useful, more features than Thunar and still fast. Dolphin is another option, but it crashed for me. However, all are faster than Nemo.

I still would like to see Nemo fixed, as I don't want to have to create the bookmarks for my favorite directories in each file manager.
rtimai

Post by rtimai »

I think I fixed Nemo's slow startup on my system, at least. Now I'm not running Nemo on Mint but on Ubuntu Unity. I installed Nemo without the Cinnamon desktop from the Ubuntu repos through Ubuntu Software Center, and followed instructions posted here and on http://www.fandigital.com for integrating Nemo with the Unity desktop. BUT I also had the slow Nemo startup problem, and I think for the same reason Mint users had it. Here's how I discovered this fix, and I hope it'll work for other users:

RATIONALE
I saw several suggestions to run from Terminal "nemo --no-desktop" and saw that Nemo started up quickly with the added option. But locking the icon that appeared in the Unity launcher bar, and then closing and re-launching Nemo using the launcher did not preserve the "--no-desktop" option, and Nemo still exhibited a long delay when starting.

DESCRIPTION OF THE METHOD OF THE FIX
I later learned that the xdg-mime command actually modified .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. I used cat to locate the nemo*.desktop files, examined them, and used "gksu gedit usr/share/applications/nemo.desktop" to add "--no-desktop" to the exec=nemo lines (which specifies the program to run.)

NOTES:
- I found three nemo desktop files: nemo.desktop, nemo-folder-handler.desktop, nemo-autorun-software.desktop.
- I added the --no-desktop option to all of the nemo desktop files with no unwanted effects -- and Nemo now starts up with virtually no delay.
- I haven't learned how to use xdg-mime to edit specific lines in the specific desktop files, so I used gksu gedit. Someone else may post the proper xdg-mime commands to do the same tasks.
- Beware that in the desktop files the Name= line will specify the filename that appears in the file browser. If nemo-file-handler.desktop or nemo-autorun-software.desktop contains Name=nemo, it will appear as a duplicate Nemo file in the file browser. So make sure that Name= line matches the filename in the Gedit tab when you save it.

In case it may help, below is the content of my /usr/share/applications/nemo.desktop:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Nemo
Comment=Access and organize files
Exec=nemo --no-desktop %U
Icon=system-file-manager
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;Core;
MimeType=inode/directory;application/x-gnome-saved-search;
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=nemo
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=1.72
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nemo
- The current version of Nemo installed from the Ubuntu repos is 1.72 (see above.) Mint users' files probably will show differences, e.g., in OnlyShowIn= , and the X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version= lines, etc. Adapt these contents as appropriate.

Okay, that's it. I apologize if this is not crystal-clear. There are probably a half-dozen ways to make these changes, and different systems will have different entries, so it's difficult to be specific. I know this is a Mint forum, but the Mint forum appears to have the most extended discussion of Nemo's slow slartup. Mint users and other desktop environments that don't use the Unity-style lenses for launchers may be able to edit the launcher in the Gnome panel menu to add the --no-desktop option. Ubuntu Unity users, as far as I know, don't have direct access to the menus, and this is the only way to insure Nemo runs with this critical option.
hughh

Post by hughh »

rtimai wrote:I think I fixed Nemo's slow startup on my system, at least. Now I'm not running Nemo on Mint but on Ubuntu Unity. I installed Nemo without the Cinnamon desktop from the Ubuntu repos through Ubuntu Software Center, and followed instructions posted here and on http://www.fandigital.com for integrating Nemo with the Unity desktop. BUT I also had the slow Nemo startup problem, and I think for the same reason Mint users had it.
I am running Linux Mint and made the changes described. It seems to have helped, but Nemo is still slower than I think it should be.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I have to admit, I'm still having a problem with this.
A week ago I tried copying a 4 Gig folder from Fedora 18 to my Mint 14 Cinnamon and it would freeze.
I would have to kill nemo to fix the freeze, but trying again would result in another freeze.

Its very random and strange but other times I can copy at 12 Gig folder and it works perfectly.
I'm hesitating to install Mint 16 because I heard 17 will be the new long-term stable release.
inate71

Post by inate71 »

Booman wrote:I have to admit, I'm still having a problem with this.
A week ago I tried copying a 4 Gig folder from Fedora 18 to my Mint 14 Cinnamon and it would freeze.
I would have to kill nemo to fix the freeze, but trying again would result in another freeze.

Its very random and strange but other times I can copy at 12 Gig folder and it works perfectly.
I'm hesitating to install Mint 16 because I heard 17 will be the new long-term stable release.
Same here. I have a folder with some 1600 png files. Total folder size is 10mb. I tried copying and pasting all pngs to a separate folder--freezes. I kill Nemo and start again, this time in batches (about 16 pngs at a time). Freezes occasionally. It's frustrating beyond belief.

I guess I'm going to update to Mint 14 when it is available. It's a shame--I didn't want to have to worry about backing up all my data and stuff. :(

I got a SSD and 8GB of RAM with an Ivy Bridge i5 w/ Turbo Boost. No clue why this is an issue.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Actually, I do not have this problem any longer since I have updated to Mint 16.
Over the weekend I copied some huge games files:
1. Crysis Warhead 8 Gigs
2. League Of Legends 10 Gigs
3. Left4Dead 2 13 Gigs

They were copied from my Fedora 16 server and copied fairly well. League of Legends and Left4Dead 2 took a while because the files were not in compressed folders.
torturedutopian

Post by torturedutopian »

Hmm... I guess the slowness is inherited from Nautilus, anyway ? Maybe it's not related, but opening directories with a few thousands of files takes A LOT of times here on a fast machine (like, 30 seconds) ; while it's almost instant in Dolphin / KDE on a much slower machine.

I hope, once the Mint team has more time to focus on this, it'll improve. IMHO it clearly shows the limits of some choices made in GNOME & other DEs : focusing too much on changing the UI and not fixing real actual problems for carrying out basic tasks. (eog, evince, totem, nautilus etc. all lack basic features and are quite slow compared to KDE apps for instance).

Hope it'll improve as all those solutions mature !

(not meaning to start a KDE vs others war ; i happily use severals DEs and just notice all have important flaws :)
SorinN

Post by SorinN »

Mint 16, this month Mint 17 will come out

the same problem with Nemo ... slow / crashing on multiple tabs / randomly never ending a file transfer ..

this way people will start to search a better fm - true Nemo looks better than others and full of well implemented features - just is way slow and buggy on transfers

I am thinking to switch to Dolphin fm - which is faster even under Gnome environment
mirz

Post by mirz »

SorinN wrote:Mint 16, this month Mint 17 will come out

the same problem with Nemo ... slow / crashing on multiple tabs / randomly never ending a file transfer ..
And this is the moment I'm leaving Mint... Goodbye.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mideal »

Although this thread is quite old, I experienced very slow actions in Nemo (e.g. when opening folders with many videos) too since I updated to Mint 17.
Preview or thumbnails were not active, so there was no obvious reason why not open a folder with 386 files, especially not if you try this three times subsequently.
Any other desktop manager opened that folder(s) at a glance.
The reason is in the Nemo plugins I installed with Mint 17. I deinstalled all of them and reinstalled them one by one.
"nemo-media-columns" is the "bad guy", even it isn't used in the "detailled list" view.

This thread can be closed as "solved", I guess.
Yoga 910 16GB/2TB running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64Bit

Post by MatthewCushman »

mideal wrote: "nemo-media-columns" is the "bad guy", even it isn't used in the "detailed list" view.
Just wanted to add another data point in favor of the above approach: the slowness of Nemo has plagued me as it has others - but it wasn't until mideal's heroic post quoted above that I found Nirvana:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nemo-media-columns
Now folders are snappy, and I no longer need to plan around the 30-60 sec wait every time I open certain directories.
Huzzah!

Return to “Cinnamon”