[Solved] Keyboard indicator doesn't show current layout

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noamraph

[Solved] Keyboard indicator doesn't show current layout

Post by noamraph »

Hello,

I just installed Mint. I used the files from a previous Ubuntu 11.04 installation in my home dir. The keyboard indicator applet doesn't show the current layout - see attached screenshot.

What should I do now? I'm a programmer, so I don't mind fiddling with this by my own a bit, but I need guidance as to where to find the files and where to report the bug.

Thanks,
Noam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Keyboard indicator doesn't show current keyboard layout

Post by remoulder »

noamraph wrote:used the files from a previous Ubuntu 11.04 installation in my home dir
Ub 11.04 was based on gnome 2 with gnome panel, you are now running on gnome 3 with a totally different desktop, none of the config files are likely to be compatible. You should move elsewhere all the hidden config directories in your home except for your browser and email, and logout/back in. Only restore settings in hidden directories if you are sure they aren't going to cause problems with newer versions.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
noamraph

Re: Keyboard indicator doesn't show current keyboard layout

Post by noamraph »

Here's the solution.

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
dconf-editor
Set org.gnome.libgnomekbd.indicator.show-flags to False.

I must say that starting with an entirely new and incompatible settings system was a very good idea.

Return to “Cinnamon”