Panel Size

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cariboo

Panel Size

Post by Cariboo »

Hi,
I run Linux Mint 13-64bit Cinnamon 1.4 version and I don't know how to change the size/height of the panel.
What do I have to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Panel Size

Post by bimsebasse »

Open your theme's cinnamon.css file and find the section that looks like this in the native theme:

Code: Select all

/* ===================================================================
 * Panel (panel.js)
 * ===================================================================*/
#panel {
	color: #ffffff;
	background-color: #555555;
	font-size: 8.5pt;
	font-weight: normal;
	height: 25px;
}
... and change height, 32px gives a nice large panel. But note that you can only adjust height in a top panel layout, bottom panels get misaligned if you adjust size.
lwrver

Post by lwrver »

Interesting response. I posted this same question several weeks ago and received no response, so your response to this post is welcomed. Unfortunately I prefer the panel on the bottom, so for me this problem is still unresolved if your solution only works if the panel is on the top. Any chance this will be resolved in a future update? I use a large screen monitor because of visibility problems, and the standard panel resolution is just too small for me to see easily. I'll experiment with it to see what results I get. Thanks for the info.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes, but you'll have to wait for the Cinnamon bug to get fixed, hopefully with Cinnamon 1.5 but maybe not.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Thanks for the response...
As I'm "sitting in the same boat" as Iwrver and because I have a hard time to get my panel flipped to the top it's best for me to be patient and wait :roll:
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Cariboo wrote:..... because I have a hard time to get my panel flipped to the top it's best for me to be patient and wait :roll:
false alarm...after making changes to field 'Desktop layout in Panel Settings" one have to restart to make the change effective! This is also valid for changes to file "/usr/share/cinnamon/theme/cinnamon.css".
BTW, for me font-size: 12pt and height: 40px works best!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That's why it says "Note: if you change the layout you will need to restart Cinnamon" right where you change the panel layout.
TheEyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheEyes »

Okay, so the panel resize worked, but now the autohide function doesn't. Well, okay, it sort of does--the panel will slide up ~ 25 pixels--but since I resized my panel to 50 px it only slides up halfway and stops. Any way to fix this, or is this another bug?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

cracker42

Post by cracker42 »

I thied changing the pixel height from 25 to 40 as a test. All I got was the panel (at the bottom) was placed above the bottom of the desktop for a 40 pixel height panel but the panel is still only 25 pixels tall and thus just leaves a gap under it. Setting it back to 25 and it's ok again so just changing the pixel size isn't enough. The cinnamon.css looks like that is the style sheet that must change but there is more to it than just increasing the pixel height to get a larger panel, icons, and text size in it.
Anyone else have any follow up to this problem?
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Cinnamon 1.5 is out and it has the ability to change panel height in Cinnamon Settings :D
cracker42

Post by cracker42 »

Yes Cinnamon 1.5.2 is available for Mint 13. I am using it right now. Go here for compile/install instructions:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955

Ok, so Cinnamon 1.5.2 will easily let me change the panel height but the icons and text in the panel is not scaling to match the panel height. Cinnamon is still a work in progress so it has a long way to go to get panel flexibility like KDE has.

Go to the console and type cinnamon --version to see what version you are running.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

A rudimentary panel resize scaling feature has already hit github.

If you see a feature you miss, it's always best to try and request it through the formal channels rather than to go on a forum and moan about the free software you have chosen to use not being exactly like you want it to be.
cracker42

Post by cracker42 »

That's great but how do I install it? Do I need to recompile and install Cinnamon 1.5.2 all over again to get the panel scaling check box? The github post shows a nice picture of it but nothing on how to implement it. Sorry for me not being a Linux programmer.

Return to “Cinnamon”