Cannot change theme in LM13 Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tharkis

Cannot change theme in LM13 Cinnamon

Post by Tharkis »

I know it is an RC and I also know that I am somewhat of a noob. However, The Cinnamon settings application doesn't seem to be working. I am unable to change themes, window themses, icon themes, etc..

So what am I doing wrong, or is this a bug?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot change theme in LM13 Cinnamon

Post by twodogs »

Hi,
It's probably a bug. I would reinstall Cinnamon via Synaptic.

Tip: Try to just 'reload' Cinnamon, first, to see if that fixes your problem. Alt+F2, r,enter ;)
Tharkis

Post by Tharkis »

Alt-f2 brings up a run prompt. "r" is not a command.

There was an upgrade to cinnamon, I installed it and re-installed it but no dice with that one.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Report problems with the rc here
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Tharkis

Post by Tharkis »

Turns out it's not a bug. I apparently didn't have enough video memory devoted to the vm I was running it under. After I upped it, everything seemed to work fine.
rjvencken
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjvencken »

Same problem here (VirtualBox Host: Ubuntu Guest: LM) but solutions offered both didnt work
1. Pulled up VM GPU to 128 Mb
2. Reloaded every package w/ 'Cinnamon' in it
Still I can click every theme in the "Cinnamon Settings - Themes" window which gets them highlighted there but nothing else happens
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Did you enable 3D virtualization?
wvxvw

Post by wvxvw »

Same problem here, but in an actual (not virtualized) system. Selecting themes has no effect. How to check what happened / configure by hand other than through GUI?
Additionally, after trying to select a different theme the cursor starts acting strange: it would disappear if the background is scrolled, and it disappears when over the settings menus (but it doesn't in other GUI programs).
EDIT Sorry, never mind that, got confused because of abundance of theme-related and theme-called settings. I Actually had to change the GTK+ theme on the other tab. I still don't know what the theme on the front tab is for as it has no visual effect on the way things are displayed, but I found what I was looking for.

Return to “Cinnamon”