What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Post by xenopeek »

Cinnamon and MATE are your desktop environments. sudo configuration is in /etc/sudoers file, which you should only ever edit with the "sudo visudo" command. You'll find the manual with "man sudoers".
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

The panel and applets still need a ton of refinement:

The cinnamon menu is just kind of bad in its current state. the search results aren't very good (gnome-shell overlay and unity dash always seem to give me more relevent results), and it needs a lot of visual fixes/polish.

The notifications applet likes to freeze fairly often

Entries in the window list applet go off the screen if the window title is too long or if you have to many windows open

Time applet could be a lot better, its annoying to have to go to a website and copy the format to change to 12-hour time format.

window list applet icons go blurry if you change the panel size or use 3rd party icon themes

panel icons and icon sizes are inconsistant in general

panel edit mode is just super buggy/janky in general
Last edited by bwat47 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomko

Post by nomko »

bwat47 wrote:The panel and applets still need a ton of refinement
Agree. It really needs a bit more fine tuning.
bwat47 wrote:The cinnamon menu is just kind of bad in its current state. the search results aren't very good (gnome-shell overlay and unity dash always seem to give me more relevent results), menu entries get cut off on the right, slow to open etc...
Don't know what you mean by more relevant results, but the search option only shows the applications installed and available in the Cinnamon menu.
bwat47 wrote:The notifications applet likes to freeze fairly often
What i don't like about the notification applet is that is shows notification at the bottom and at the right top screen as a big black overlay field. That i don't like. I'm not that interested in notifications. When i'm downloading a file or software package i know i'm downloading it. Don't need a notification. Would be nice to have an option to turn off that big black notification pop-up.

Also a much better option to modify/edit the Cinnamon menu. Now some entries can't be edited. This should be fixed. Another thing is that i see double entries for 1 application. This is confusing and unnecessary. This should be fixed too.

But overall i'm very happy with Cinnamon 1.6. It's lesser buggier than 1.4 and feels much more stable.
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

nomko wrote:
bwat47 wrote:The panel and applets still need a ton of refinement
Agree. It really needs a bit more fine tuning.
bwat47 wrote:The cinnamon menu is just kind of bad in its current state. the search results aren't very good (gnome-shell overlay and unity dash always seem to give me more relevent results), menu entries get cut off on the right, slow to open etc...
Don't know what you mean by more relevant results, but the search option only shows the applications installed and available in the Cinnamon menu.
bwat47 wrote:The notifications applet likes to freeze fairly often
What i don't like about the notification applet is that is shows notification at the bottom and at the right top screen as a big black overlay field. That i don't like. I'm not that interested in notifications. When i'm downloading a file or software package i know i'm downloading it. Don't need a notification. Would be nice to have an option to turn off that big black notification pop-up.

Also a much better option to modify/edit the Cinnamon menu. Now some entries can't be edited. This should be fixed. Another thing is that i see double entries for 1 application. This is confusing and unnecessary. This should be fixed too.

But overall i'm very happy with Cinnamon 1.6. It's lesser buggier than 1.4 and feels much more stable.
regarding the search results, it just doesn't seem to sort them intelligently like other menus/applications (gnome-shell, unity dash, gnome-do)

For example In unity, gnome-shell, or gnome-do if I type "sys" and hit enter, I get the system monitor (which is what I want). In the cinnamon menu the first result is "details"... wut?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

bwat47 wrote:For example In unity, gnome-shell, or gnome-do if I type "sys" and hit enter, I get the system monitor (which is what I want). In the cinnamon menu the first result is "details"... wut?
You may have missed in the bottom right of the menu it shows details about the top search result. In this case:
Details
System Information
So yes, that matches searching for "sys" :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cinnamon is 1 year old, just about, of course it needs fine tuning, goes without saying. No project can be that young and without considerable bugs and shortcomings.

About the Search, Gnome Shell does it the same way Cinnamon does, it doesn't just filter by application name, but also by application description or function. E.g. if you type v-i-d you get applications that handle video. It means you can use the search for more than just filtering application names.
kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingsthane »

imo Users And Groups should be added to the Menu - Administration in the gui by default. Each time I install mint cinnamon I find myself looking back to find the url, the page from which will tell me how to add Users And Groups (not in the mint repos). I use virtualbox a lot and I find the gui easier and quicker than using the terminal for adding and modifying users and groups to make vbox useable.

Also more control over the mouse would be helpful. With the last few mint incarnations I've found tasks such as using ctl-left click to be haphazard with respect to whether another click will add another item to the list or just enter the previously selected items to the default choice. If this seems confusing, use as an example using ctl-left click to highlight selected addressbook names for forwarding and then clicking on BCC to add them to the "to" list. As often as not somewhere through the selection process mint decides for some reason to instead just add the previously selected entries as "To" entries in the To header box instead of letting me add another entry for group selection of BCC entries. Each of these selected entries must then be individually changed to BCC instead of To entries. Really irritating. I've tried different mouse models and its always the same. Have also tried all sorts of combinations of mouse settings to no avail in the Mouse ans Touchpad Settings. Mouse control seemed to be much better before with straight ubuntu. While planning to leave the impending ubuntu unity I tried a few mint desktop variations via virtualbox and settled on cinnamon. So most of my subsequent mint experience has been with Cinnamon. I'm not sure if the above peeves are therefor Cinnamon related or just Mint related. If they're Mint related only, apologies for taking up space in this thread. I very much appreciate the effort put in by the Mint and Cinnamon teams. Wish I had the ability to help with improving the code but as they say -- old dog and new tricks ;-{ cheers
xehpuk

Post by xehpuk »

I don't like edge flip. I only tested cinnamon on a virtual machine and the workspace selection came upp ALL the time. Using google I found out who to get rid of it but doesn't features like that scare away newcomers? After all I recomend Mint to all those WinXp people hoping they will feel at home with it. So please avoid fancy features in default settings.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

xehpuk wrote:I don't like edge flip. I only tested cinnamon on a virtual machine and the workspace selection came upp ALL the time.
That's not edge flip, that is expo. And no, this is not a "fancy feature" but this is a bug in your virtual machine's mouse driver--where it randomly moves the mouse for a fraction of a second to the top left corner of your screen. And moving your mouse there is what triggers expo. This is not an issue if you run Cinnamon on real hardware.

So yes, solution is to either disable this "hot corner" when you are on a virtual machine (Cinnamon Settings > Hot corner) or to implement a workaround for the bug in the virtual machine's mouse driver. That's detailed here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p683283

With the hot corner disabled, you can still use expo by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Up arrow.

Of course it would be great if the bug was fixed by the developers of the virtual machine software :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

First thing you do in a virtualbox cinnamon is to disable hot corners and edge flip.
t-ray

Post by t-ray »

I *really* want the taskbar to stretch across all my displays and only show the windows that are active on the respective displays.

Return to “Cinnamon”