17.1 Ctrl+v not work [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lanlinlan

17.1 Ctrl+v not work [SOLVED]

Post by lanlinlan »

the system is mint 17.1 x64, I can use ctrl+c copy files,but ctrl+v Cannot paste files, only can pasted with the right mouse button.
- The problem these days appear. how can i repair it???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: 17.1 Ctrl+v not work

Post by karlchen »

Hello, lanlinian.

<please ignore, the following paragraph has been written in brain-switched-off mode>
Try using <shift><ctrl>c in order to copy to clipboard and <shift><ctrl>v in order to paste from clipboard instead.
In a lot of applications the "Edit" menu will display these keyboard shortcuts as well.
Whithout the <shift> key copying and pasting works in some applications, but not in all.
<shift><ctrl>c and <shift><ctrl>v should always work.

</please ignore end>

HTH,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added warning
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

<shift><ctrl>c and <shift><ctrl>v should always work.

When I do that with firefox I get the AdBlock "Open Blackable Items".
With gimp <ctrl>v=paste into image, and <shift><ctrl>v= paste as new image.

Whithout the <shift> key copying and pasting works in some applications, but not in all.

It works everywhere for me except terminals, which need <shift><ctrl>v.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Flemur.

Might be you are right. Seems as if I use the terminal windows too frequently and have started over-generalizing their behaviour as "the normal behaviour". :oops:
OK, so we are back to the initial problem report, first attempt of solving falsified.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Seems as if I use the terminal windows too frequently and have started over-generalizing their behaviour as "the normal behaviour".

I use terminals a lot too, which is why I accidentally hit SHIFT+CTRL+C sometimes...so know that they're not the same.

But re-reading the OP:
I can use ctrl+c copy files,but ctrl+v Cannot paste files,
he's not copy/pasting text.

I just tried Ctrl+C/V with thunar (click the file first) and it works - never tried it before. However, Shift+Ctrl+C/V DOESN'T work.

So, OP, what desktop and/or file manager are you using?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
lanlinlan

Post by lanlinlan »

in the desktop ,,SHIFT+CTRL+V not work too.. but termino can
lanlinlan

Post by lanlinlan »

I use the mint cinnamon 17.1 x64,,and use the default file manager
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Forget ctrl-shift-v in the file manager or on the desktop, this is only true in the terminal (regarding the pre-installed software). *
Does ctrl-v refuse to work only on the desktop or also inside the file manager, if you paste a file on a place inside your home?

Does ctrl-V work, if you paste some text e.g. in the text editor?

* Background: At least one of the commonly used keyboard-shortcuts is used by the shell itself: ctrl-c for stopping a task. Out of this another shortcut is necessary in the terminal for copy (ctrl-shift-c), and some other shortcuts for the terminal got the same usage of modifier-keys (ctrl-shift instead of ctrl).
lanlinlan

Post by lanlinlan »

THANKS Cosmo

CTRL+V not work in the txt files,and other all.. the files can'nt use it pasted,the text or url add and oters all can'nt use it to paste..
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Seems, as if this keybinding has been occupied by some other software /rather unlikely) or setting.

Create a test account and do nothing else than testing copy / paste of text and files (after creating the one or other dummy file in the home of the test account) via ctrl-c / ctrl-v.
lanlinlan

Post by lanlinlan »

I try create a new user,,and test CTRL+V,, and it's can work.. so keybinding has been occupied by some other software ,how can i find it?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The easiest way would be, if you can remember, what you did install or change shortly before the problem started.

If not, try this:
Open the keyboard settings, go to the tab keybindings (second tab), select "own keybindings" (at the bottom of the left list) and see, if there is anything placed on the right site. By default this segment is empty, so any entry would have been set by you or by a program (some do that automatically). If you find ctrl-v there, remove it (or set another key combination), log off and back in.

If this does not bring the answer, open startup programs and disable all entries. Log off and back in. If the problem is now gone, re-enable the startup programs one by one. log off and back in, until you found the culprit.

Note, that my description is for Cinnamon; if you have another desktop environment the respective settings may be on another place. Further note, that the wordings may differ a little bit, as I translated them from my German system.
lanlinlan

Post by lanlinlan »

I check the keyboard settings, "own keybindings" segment is empty. and i disable all the autostart program,,logout ,log back ,but there is No surprise, also can'nt work
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open the file-manager, make hidden files visible.
Open the folder .config and rename the subfolder autostart, log off, back in.

You did not tell your desktop environment.
lanlinlan

Post by lanlinlan »

I try this: in the own keybindings,add CTRL+V ,,and it show CTRL+V has been used by search , how do i chang the search to other ?
lanlinlan

Post by lanlinlan »

THANK YOU ALL I FOUND IT
George99

Post by George99 »

lanlinlan wrote:I FOUND IT
That sounds great but please let us know how you resolved this problem in particular as it might apear one day in another user's desktop...

Return to “Cinnamon”