Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

preview nef files in caja

Post by bmike1 »

I have a little problem; caja will not preview nef (nikon's raw image) files. I increased the file size that would preview and that caused it to work until I trasfered the files from the camera's sd card to the computer. Then it didn't work on either device (sd or computer). Ever heard of this problem? In my search for a caja forum I was sent back here. (I've been a member for a while)

mint13
Caja 1.2.1
:)~Mikey~(:
meteorrock

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by meteorrock »

On my desktop using Mate I am having problems with the "aurora" engine giving me an error in applying it in the appearance options for customization.
A check in the CLI (command line interface, terminal) reveled that I have the engine already installed using:

Code: Select all

aurora -version 
I have the aurora v1.7.3 installed as stated in the CLI (command line interface)

Also this command shows its also installed by running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-aurora
I get this prompt "gtk2-engines-aurora" is already the newest version"

However in the "appearance preferences" >> customize >> control tab I get a "This theme will not look as intended because the required GTK+ theme engine "aurora" is not installed in that control box. Purging and installing the above "gtk2-engines-aurora" did not correct this problem either.

This seems to me to be a bug for that GUI as it is not rendering properly on the GUI (graphic user interface or desktop environment) possibly? Could you look into it for us?

~~~~~~~~~~``

Also I have been noticing some slight lag in the appearance options of this desktop environment upon opening and closing the dialog boxes in those options compared to the rest of the user interface using Mate 1.4 on Linux mint nadia 14.1. And the theme I am running now called "clearlooks" is not theming the package manager boxes that open up on extracting packages, they fall back to the default theme. Same with the software sources box.

Any help on this if I overlooked anything on applying this theme would be appreciated.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

I have the same issue. Doesn't effect anything but sort of, how should I say, weird and might be disconcerting for a new user. It is a bug, but a rather inocuous one though.
brian_linux

Post by brian_linux »

Hi Everyone,

Just like to ask if there is a plugin for pluma that can auto-complete a word on the current document.
I do programming and I just switch to linux mint and I do love pluma very much perfect lightweight editor but I'm missing the auto-complete feature of notepad++.
Is there a plug-in for it?

Thank you.
Corollax

Post by Corollax »

Regarding the aurora themes issue: I have a bug report here that explains the issue in more detail, complete with a little hack to fix the problem.

I'm not sure if something needs to be done further upstream, but this suffices for now.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

brian_linux wrote:Hi Everyone,

Just like to ask if there is a plugin for pluma that can auto-complete a word on the current document.
I do programming and I just switch to linux mint and I do love pluma very much perfect lightweight editor but I'm missing the auto-complete feature of notepad++.
Is there a plug-in for it?

Thank you.
If you really do a lot of coding you ought to consider Komodo IDE. It's free and the most mind bogling code editor that I have ever used in my life. Granted, it's overkill for a single quick file edit, but it'll blow you away when you work on projects with multiple files. The levels of built-in automation are nothing short of staggering. Just google Komodo IDE and read up on it. Download & Instructions are available too. Been using Komodo on every one of my Linux versions for the past 5 years. It can be totally customized in dozens of ways as well. :D
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
elfuego

Post by elfuego »

I have installed Linux Mint with MATE onto tablet PC. I have been confused then login form I not found virtual keayboard... I can not log in to system without screen keyboard. This is a strange disadvantage. How can I log in to system?
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

how stable is this to install on linux mint 15 mate-64? and is it package on first page or what? i was skimming through people were throwing up links here and there so want to make sure i grab correct one, thank you :)
jmc7

Post by jmc7 »

Hello,

Is there a way to make mate on linux mint 16 look like gnome 2 used to look, ie: applications, places, and system across the top of the desktop? This is how the screenshot appears on the mate website: http://mate-desktop.org/
Capture.PNG
I can't figure out how to accomplish this. I installed from Linux Mint 16 Mate x64 DVD.

Thanks in advance for the help.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

I'm not 100% sure that I understand exactly what you're asking, but I always use XFCE panels for my Gnom2 look since those are much more customizeable and you can make them completely transparent too (by default if you like) which was only possible in Gnome2 with a workaround. Haven't used the Mate panels in ages, even though I do have Mate installed as well ...

But even without the XFCE panels, you should be able to have or create a panel for the bottom as well as for the top. Right click on the panel to customize it ... or use the settings and see if you can click on the panels symbol from there, to customize each panel. When you add items on the top panel, look for the applications menu launcher (not to be confused with main menu). Once you have that applications launcher in your top panel, you can place it wherever you like ... followed by deleting the applications launcher from your bottom panel.

I also found the workspace switcher of the XFCE panels to be more stable which was yet another reason for me to use those panels instead. Just right click a lot and play around with the panels. Heck, if you're worried about messing something up, just create yourself a third panel or even more, and then add, remove, whatever as you please, just to get a really good feel about the things that can be done. Hope this helps ...
15_Mint15_Mate_XFCE.Panels_Aug2013a.png
15_Mint15_Mate_XFCE.Panels_Aug2013b.png
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have never thought that perberos is a memeber of our community :D :D Many thanks man for the great desktop :D
EuphoricMint

Post by EuphoricMint »

jmc7 wrote:Hello,

Is there a way to make mate on linux mint 16 look like gnome 2 used to look, ie: applications, places, and system across the top of the desktop? This is how the screenshot appears on the mate website: http://mate-desktop.org/
Capture.PNG
I can't figure out how to accomplish this. I installed from Linux Mint 16 Mate x64 DVD.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sure you can.

First, you might want to move your panel to the top. Right-click your current panel, and select properties. you should see an option for "Orientation" - select "top".

Next, you'll want to swap your menu. Right-click your panel again, and select "Add to Panel". From there, you'll want to add "Menu Bar" which will add the menu and folder locations you're accustomed to.

Right-click the other menu, and select "remove from panel". This will remove the custom Mint Menu. If the option to remove isn't available, try unchecking "Lock to Panel" when you right-click, then retry the "remove from panel".

If things look kinda funny, that is, the panel looks out of order, you might have to move things to their desired location. For each panel item, you'll want to right-click and choose "Move" and drag to your desired location. Again, if the option isn't available, make sure "lock to panel" is unchecked.

Once things look the way you want, you might want to consider going through and rechecking "Lock to Panel" for each item.

Hope this helps, and if I missed anything, I'm sure myself or others will point it out. :)

Slightly off-topic: First post :D
cheesefrock

Post by cheesefrock »

What was updated in the 1.8.1 bump? I can't seem to find a changelog.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

cheesefrock wrote:What was updated in the 1.8.1 bump? I can't seem to find a changelog.
cheesefrock

Post by cheesefrock »

Monsta wrote:
cheesefrock wrote:What was updated in the 1.8.1 bump? I can't seem to find a changelog.
Sweet! Thanks for finding that; now I know where to look next time.

Happy that transparency/compositing bug is fixed.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

What about transparency for the mate panels? Is it possible to make mate panels 100% transparent yet, just like the XFCE panels? By 100% I mean transparent to the point that even item or panel spacers as well as the panel ends can be completely transparent. It's the only thing that's stopping me from using mate exclusively. If you know, I'd appreciate it if you let me know. :)

sammy66

Post by sammy66 »

Could you please implement Ctrl+Z feature in Caja (undo the latest action). It is in Nautilus Elementary 2.32.2. It's very useful feature and I miss it very much in Mate.
don4455

Post by don4455 »

desktop settings not in lower left bottom of screen new install of mint mate 17

Return to “MATE”