"mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HorrorCode

Re: "mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Post by HorrorCode »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:Ever since I used kernelcheck to compile custom kernels per each system.

I have YET to have any apps fail to load at boot.

Looks to have fixed the panel issues entirely on all 4 systems.

I am thinking it had something to do with disk read speeds, New kernels are showing a much higher disk read speed now.
Care to share what kernelcheck is or how to use is? Is it easier to compile your own using it then say the qt kernel config tool I think it is?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

kernelcheck is a SWEET kernel compiler/installer.

Made to be super easy to compile a 100% custom kernel to fit your system in every way.
Screenshot-54.jpg
Screenshot-55.jpg
Screenshot-56.jpg

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kcheck/ ... b/download

once installed

run

Code: Select all

sudo kernelcheck
in terminal

The kernel used here was the newest compatible with ATI released 6/04/2011 . it is a finalized finished 2.6.38.8 build. ALL power regression was fully fixed in this kernel.

I used 2.6.39.1 released 2 days earlier with nvidia and Intel.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Thats amazing info man, thank you for sharing. I'm gonna give it a go as soon as I work on a couple other tasks, but after reading about it, it looks way more flexible than the other build scripts I've tried. Thanks again!
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Not sure this will help but its a boot option and the one defined by default could very well cause this, but I don't know exactly what boot option/reboot method Mint uses or how to employ this, im sure you just enter it in your grub file on the kernel line or from grub at startup though, i have no reason to test it currently. taken from this link: http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation ... ptions.txt

Rebooting

reboot=b[ios] | t[riple] | k[bd] | a[cpi] | e[fi] [, [w]arm | [c]old]
   bios	  Use the CPU reboot vector for warm reset
   warm   Don't set the cold reboot flag
   cold   Set the cold reboot flag
   triple Force a triple fault (init)
   kbd    Use the keyboard controller. cold reset (default)
   acpi   Use the ACPI RESET_REG in the FADT. If ACPI is not configured or the
          ACPI reset does not work, the reboot path attempts the reset using
          the keyboard controller.
   efi    Use efi reset_system runtime service. If EFI is not configured or the
          EFI reset does not work, the reboot path attempts the reset using
          the keyboard controller.

Using warm reset will be much faster especially on big memory
   systems because the BIOS will not go through the memory check.
   Disadvantage is that not all hardware will be completely reinitialized
   on reboot so there may be boot problems on some systems.

reboot=force

Don't stop other CPUs on reboot. This can make reboot more reliable
   in some cases.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:kernelcheck is a SWEET kernel compiler/installer.

Made to be super easy to compile a 100% custom kernel to fit your system in every way.
Screenshot-54.jpg
Screenshot-55.jpg
Screenshot-56.jpg

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kcheck/ ... b/download

once installed

run

sudo kernelcheck
in terminal

The kernel used here was the newest compatible with ATI released 6/04/2011 . it is a finalized finished 2.6.38.8 build. ALL power regression was fully fixed in this kernel.

I used 2.6.39.1 released 2 days earlier with nvidia and Intel.
sent you a pm regarding this bro
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Sorry it took so long, was working it.

Dug into it bro, actually tried it on a test system. I just do NOT see a way to move the build out of the src.

Looks to be hard coded into kernel builds and installs all together.

Noticed every last kernel EVER installed including the default 2.6.38-8 beta was in there.

Your going to need more root headroom bro. Good news is, no ill effects by deleting the build files from src once the kernel is installed.

Be sure to LEAVE the latest kernel .deb's encase you need to reinstall down the road to rebuild headers etc.
phutres

Post by phutres »

I have this problem. In addition, I can't log into the standard gnome at all, it just goes back to the log in screen, I can only get into gnome in no effects after restoring home folder. After my first boot and update(before restoring anything from my old mint 10), x failed because something messed up /etc/xorg.conf so I had to use nano to fix it. rather than compiling a new kernal and messing about trying to fix all this crap, I think I'll go back to mint 10. I use mint for the IT JUST WORKS feature. not because I want to dig around trying to fix the bugs that didn't get fixed before it was released.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

I'm having the same problem, but in my case its definitely the Network Manager thats causing the problem.
Is there a way to delay the startup of Network Manager, to see if this resolves the problem?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Been weeks, I haven't seen the issue return.

I have also been trying ubuntu kernel 2.6.38-10 final. Looks to be solid choice with power regression fixed and some other decent improvements.

I have also moved my installs to more minimal and light. lean and mean averaging 168 mb to 289 mb of ram in use at full load and idle.

From what I read, there is a 500 millisecond load window per app ruffly 1/2 of a second. If it fails to load in time it is deemed as a time out.

Leaner and faster looks to allow the system to load far faster, thus less to load at start.

So at this point, I am inclined to say the fix is - upgrade to a final kernel and run the system lean and mean.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

I'm already using the latest 2.6.38-10 Kernel, and the problem is still there.
What I have done though is put a 5 second delay on my gmail-notifier starting up, this has cut down my crashing applets by about 80%.
Still trying to do the same with network manager.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

How much ram is in use at full load ?

Wondering how much is starting up a load ?
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

I have 4 gig of ram so the amount being used is negligible.
At startup its about 10%, it hardly ever goes past 30%.
I don't think thats the problem though.
1. It only appears to be happening on 64bit systems.
2. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think it's happening on Ubuntu, not with me anyway.
3. With me it never happens if I disable network-manager.
I'm sure its to do with the amount of Apps loading at the same time at startup, but i'm no expert.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Yes

happens on ubuntu in classic and x32 mint gnome
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Interesting. Thats why issues are so difficult to pinpoint I suppose.
For me the issue only arises in 64bit Mint 11.
I've never experienced before on any other distro, and i've used Ubuntu 11.04 quite extensively.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

I install on so many systems.

Frustrating, some work fine, some don't lol.

I always do the launcher with killall gnome-panel for all clients and teach them what to do should they see it.

Run the system as lean as I can so it is rare at least.

What else can ya do lol. It just does what it does and all we can do is reduce the amount it does it.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Been using 11.04 64 bit classic since I posted yesterday, and the applets crashing problem definitely doesn't exist on my system.
I had a look on Ubuntu forums as well, and can't really find anything (although there are that many posts it's difficult).
Has anyone else had this problem on Ubuntu, or is it mainly a Mint problem?
I don't mind Ubuntu but do prefer Mint. However while this problem persists i'm using Ubuntu classic.
ben2talk

Post by ben2talk »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:Ever since I used kernelcheck to compile custom kernels per each system.

I am thinking it had something to do with disk read speeds, New kernels are showing a much higher disk read speed now.

I just installed Mint (fresh install - after using ubuntu for several years).
My panel flickered, then after a reset it isn't starting.

In terminal I get:

[~] gnome-panel
Gtk:ERROR:/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.4/gtk/gtkrecentmanager.c:2080:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)
Aborted
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

New one on me.

Ya know , I moved to strait up 2.6.38-10 kernel

Stream lined and minimized

Still have yet to see this error on any of my 4 rigs

So I call and checked in on a dozen of the 42 clients using mint 11.

Only 2 had seen error on app loading at start, but extremely rare .

For the most part, she's fully fixed on my end.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

ben2talk wrote:

I just installed Mint (fresh install - after using ubuntu for several years).
My panel flickered, then after a reset it isn't starting.

In terminal I get:

[~] gnome-panel
Gtk:ERROR:/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.4/gtk/gtkrecentmanager.c:2080:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)
Aborted
You should open a new thread regarding this, as it needs more attention and is an ongoing upstream issue. You might also consider opening a bug for it. I've had it happen on 11 on several different kernels, maybe specific kernels it happened less/more but it still happened randomly, the best thing to do like mentioned above is hit cancel or just reboot immediately.

The only thing that 'seems' to reproduce it is to disable any items that will essentially cause the system to boot faster, faster booting=more errors, so for me the ureadahead option I posted above sometimes 'seems' to help, notice the quotes, as the error is from apps starting too fast or not in the correct order upon boot from what I've come understand. So in my case, I hit the power button and let the system boot, 15 seconds later I see the desktop and the error. Now if I add something that takes a few seconds to load to my Startup Application and then reboot, no problems. But sometimes it happens anyways and I needs to use ureadahead --dump --sort=open but sometimes this doesnt even fix it and I still have to just reboot. But, since rebooting takes less than 25 seconds total for me, it's simple enough to just reboot. Maybe certain things just need more time, which they don't have control of, to boot; hence they will fail until they are fixed properly. But I could be wrong, and it could be something totally coincidental.

Another thing to try is possibly find a way to slow down the panel start time using bash or something, to ensure the panel loads last after everything else, but I don't know how to go about that, maybe we could just add it to gconf or wherever it is that calls which panel were using to load, i.e in ubuntu-tweak you can easily change the panel your using, so it might take other command arguments as well.
craigus

Post by craigus »

I'm afraid that this is an absolute show-stopper for me, at least in terms of introducing linux to new users. I usually use Mint for this, and will continue to use Mint 10, but how can you possibly say to a prospective convert "Oh, just click this 'reset panel' icon 6 or 8 times until you don't see an error message...".

I can't understand why this isn't being treated as a serious bug upstream.

Return to “MATE”