"mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HorrorCode

Re: "mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Post by HorrorCode »

I'm just curious; If it is checking to see if an error occurred in that xsession file, does it mention in that file what the error that occurred was, or is there any way to use the results from that file to track down the actual error that is occurring? Perhaps it seems a lot simpler to me than it actually is.
pim

Post by pim »

Ok I've added this script into my system. Now I'm just waiting for gnome panel to crash again :)
Will this be fixed in Mint 12 ?
sk6

Post by sk6 »

you can force the panel to reload with the following command:

(as root)
sk-panel --force

repeat the command until the panel fails and reloads.
craigus

Post by craigus »

Hmm. The script doesn't catch the error on my system. I'm not too sure where to start debugging it.
MattShepherd

Post by MattShepherd »

Hi all;

I'm a newbie, but experiencing the same type of error message ("The panel encountered a problem while loading...") with many different subjects (sometimes the clock, sometimes Windows-Applet, etc.) It's never seemed to crash my panel.

If I were to try the script on the preceding page of comments, where would I save it to?
moier

Post by moier »

I am an absolute newbie to Linux Mint 11, today I have encountered the problem described here. Unfortunately I was pretty busy when that happened and clicked on "delete", the effects are:

The error hasn't occurred again :-)
When I minimize any window it just disappears! :-(((
My "show desktop icon" disappeared. :-(

I have been looking for help in all forums I could find, but can't find a solution. Please, I want the icon back and windows must minimize not disappear into thin air!!! How can I do that?
MattShepherd

Post by MattShepherd »

I'm no expert, but it seems like maybe you've lost the thing that I was getting an error message about above -- Windows-Applet?? Not sure if that helps, but maybe there's a way to restore it from the original install.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

moier...
You need to right click on the panel, add to panel, and find the icon you deleted & add it back to the panel.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Here's my two bits; Adding a new panel, reloading all the items and deleting the old one like someone suggested here, helps. Also, increased the panel size from the default 25 pixels to 28 pixels, this is silly but i thought maybe the applets were too crammed and needed more space. Haven't had the error for the last 5 boots..too soon to tell if it really works.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
moier

Post by moier »

mzsade wrote:Here's my two bits; Adding a new panel, reloading all the items and deleting the old one like someone suggested here, helps. Also, increased the panel size from the default 25 pixels to 28 pixels, this is silly but i thought maybe the applets were too crammed and needed more space. Haven't had the error for the last 5 boots..too soon to tell if it really works.
Thanks to all of you guys! I've managed to restore my settings using the "add to panel" button, the things that had been deleted were "show desktop" and "window list" :-) So, I've got the show desktop icon back and my windows don't disappear anymore - the icon hadn't disappeared after all but because the show desktop button went missing it rearranged the other items of the task bar and hid the window list behind the "menu" button or something like that...

I don't know if that helps you, but I have discovered this guy's script to make your desktop look like Windows XP (http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14) and when you use that (even though I imagine "real" Linux users don't want their desktops to look like Windows ;-), it actually creates a backup of your desktop settings before carrying out the look-changing operations. So, after I had restored my taskbar settings thanks to you, I used that script to make my desktop look like XP and then used the "restore script" it created and it made my desktop look like before. The cool thing is, that the restore script is still there. In effect, this way I can have an easy backup of my desktop settings and should I ever receive this annoying message "The panel encountered a problem..." after starting mint, I will just carry out that restore script and hope it'll work :-)

I also want to make the most of this opportunity to say thank you to all of you guys who program Linux versions (especially Mint ;-) and useful programs like Clonezilla and all that stuff. I really appreciate the fact that you spend hours and hours on helping others like me, sorting out these kind of bugs and helping create a better experience for "normal users". Only through your constant effort Linux Mint has become a serious alternative to Windows. THANK YOU

Return to “MATE”