"mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdawgmike

"mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Post by mdawgmike »

I recently upgraded to mint 11 64-bit on one of my computers doing a fresh install. I have been getting the following error that pops up at random times when I log in or if I run a "killall gnome-panel" command at the terminal:
mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading "IndicatorAppletFactory::IndicatorApplet"
I don't witness anything failing to load, but the problem is more or less the annoyance of having to click away the message almost every time I log in. This is the first time I've ever encountered a bug like this with Mint. Suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aquabanianskakid

Re: "mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Post by aquabanianskakid »

I'm having the exact same problem. Each time it's a different applet. Sometimes I lose my clock other times my workspace switcher, system monitor. Basically the only consistency is that an applet will fail, I just never know which one will fail. On top of that my system will randomly log me out, destroying any work I was previously doing. I would avoid Mint 11 for a while until the kinks are worked out.
xcontrol

Post by xcontrol »

I am also suffering the same problems, 50% its the 'date time applet', 40% of the time it's a different applet and the other and 10% it starts normally. I also get the occasional logging me out which has normally occurred after using package manager.
Last edited by xcontrol on Mon May 30, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

simple solution for now is to make a custom launcher.

use this code

Code: Select all

killall gnome-panel
might take up to 6 to 8 times to get all apps to load.

more apps you use in the panel, more likely the issue.

The cause has been around a long time. Apps fail to load in time and time out or load the threads in the wrong order.

Gnome 3 does the same when you add applets to the panel.
Screenshot-11.png
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Sometimes turning off some of the startup applications that you don't need in the control center helps.
xcontrol

Post by xcontrol »

Great idea 'Gúrú Linux ríomhaire' quote "simple solution for now is to make a custom launcher"
Works a treat, also reduced number of apps but this didn't really make a difference.
Thanks, this is a good solution for now.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

I only started encountering this with mint 10, and rarely used Ubuntu, though I'd bet my bottom dollar its an upstream issue. if it keeps up i may just have to switch to tint2 or some other panel alternative, but i dont use a dock so for now im stuck with this issue. one trick ive learned is never click delete, just click ignore and restart and it usually goes away.
aquabanianskakid

I've used gnome for 6 years, this is quite possibly the worst problem I have ever had. It's not only frustrating that applets don't load, it's that I have been logged out multiple times in the middle of doing work... and have lost quite a bit of it. This is enough to make me abandon gnome. Hearing that this has been a common problem for other people and that there aren't any apparent solutions is not helpful. :cry:
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Can you explain why you were logged out? It sounds like youre having a different issue thats not related to this.
aquabanianskakid

I'm having two problems. The first problem is applets not loading exactly like what has been described in this post previously. The second is random log outs. Thats it. It doesn't matter what program I'm using or what I'm doing. My session will suddenly crash with no warning and I will be presented with the login screen. I believe they are unrelated problems... however considering that, both problems first appeared at the same time.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

I would guess the applet problem occurred after the log out started happening, I could be wrong, but it would explain the applet issue. I normally have the applets do that when I have to kill x or I get hard locks and have to physically power down. The logout issue is indeed strange as I've never had it happen, can anyone else verify this issue. A bug report might be a good idea in this case.
aquabanianskakid

I found this in the logs.

Jun 2 18:01:51 bobtop gnome-screensaver-dialog: gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring
Jun 2 18:07:49 bobtop polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 (system bus name :1.36, object path /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
Jun 2 18:07:49 bobtop gnome-keyring-daemon[1620]: dbus failure unregistering from session: Connection is closed
Jun 2 18:07:49 bobtop gdm-session-worker[1513]: pam_unix(gdm:session): session closed for user bob
Jun 2 18:07:49 bobtop gnome-keyring-daemon[1620]: dbus failure unregistering from session: Connection is closed

I found a few bug reports for this problem but not a single idea as to how I should fix it.
Evmorov

Post by Evmorov »

Does anyone have a better solution?
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Evmorov wrote:Does anyone have a better solution?
Well I have no way to 'reproduce' this to test a solution, but you might try resorting ureadahead with this command which will sort it by default which is the order files are opened:

Code: Select all

$ sudo ureadahead --dump --sort=open
GrantStoner

Post by GrantStoner »

As far as the applet issue, I'm getting the same thing on 64-bit. Really, really annoying.

For anyone talking about getting logged out randomly - I can confirm this too! Although, it's only happened once. I was installing Python3, and then BAM. Got logged off. Has nothing to do with the applet issue. When I logged back in. I had a whole mess of Python that I couldn't remove AND/OR reinstall or do anything with! I ended up having to do a fresh install - literally nothing worked to remove the broken packages.

I never had any problem when I used Mint 10. Only recently after Mint 11, and many updates.
GrantStoner

Post by GrantStoner »

Also, killing the gnome-panel has worked for me in the past, but now it leaves me without a Mint Menu EVERY time. Even after reboot my menu is still gone. :(
sonicdes

Post by sonicdes »

The problem seems to affect only the 64-bit version. Never had it prior to LM11, but now it comes up all the time and I can't fix it.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/783537
AleQwerty

Post by AleQwerty »

Hi all:

Sorry for my bad english... :oops:

First I suggest you do not choose "delete" instead you choose "dont delete" in error dialog box.

I dont know the solution to this bug, but if you go to Administration / Access Screen
Unlock with the key root, check after Login as brands ... and immediately selecting another look uncheck "show the screen to ..." and save ... Then reboot and should quit, if you find a better way to solve it (or anyone else on the forum), please post. Thanks

Tell us how you did ...

:mrgreen:
nomadewolf

Post by nomadewolf »

Having the same problem here.
It's the first time that Mint (Gnome) does not run flawlessly for me. I bet it's all derived from Ubuntu 11.04 since they really pissed on Gnome (i tried it, so i know). I had to abandon Ubuntu 11.04 and now it seems i'll have to leave Mint also.
Maybe i'll check Kubuntu 11.04 or Mint Debian
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Ever since I used kernelcheck to compile custom kernels per each system.

I have YET to have any apps fail to load at boot.

Looks to have fixed the panel issues entirely on all 4 systems.

I am thinking it had something to do with disk read speeds, New kernels are showing a much higher disk read speed now.

Return to “MATE”