Menus with larger icons, MATE 17.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

Menus with larger icons, MATE 17.3

Post by AlmightyDoerOfStuff »

I bumped my post about panel drawers, but I don't think it is going to be answered, so I'll ask this:

I like having menus on my panel, and seeing the fancy Mint-X icons. I created several menus in the Main Menu and gave them icons, either pre-existing or self-made, and put the menus on my panel. I love the style of the Mint-X icons. I'm not sure why.

The thing is, when I open the menus, either in Main Menu or from my panel, the icons are very small. I want them to be 48x48. Is there any way to do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Menus with larger icons, MATE 17.3

Post by Fred Barclay »

Screenshot? :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

...No. Dang mate-screenshot did nothing when I hit Print Screen yesterday, so I installed gnome-screenshot. That worked yesterday and now it doesn't either. :/

The icons in the menus seem to be 24 pixels, while I want them to be 48. I don't know what else to say...
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Screenshot? In Menu/Accessories/Screenshot. I put it on the panel for easy access. You can pick where the shots are saved to. Default is Pictures. Remember to give the shot a name prior to saving, I just use a few letters like jjj for example.

The way to put it on the panel is to type screenshot in the menu search window . Do not enter,but on the result to the right, right click and pick "add to panel".
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

If I click on it on the panel with the menu open, the menu closes, so this exercise would be useless.

Why can't I just hit Print Screen like I used to? :(
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

I mean, what I'd really prefer is for the panel Drawers to work, but it looks like I'm the only one who loved that feature back when it was working, when I started using Linux with Ubuntu. Somehow it stopped working properly for most people in the time since...
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Many of us new guys never even heard of Panel Drawers.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

AlmightyDoerOfStuff wrote:If I click on it on the panel with the menu open, the menu closes, so this exercise would be useless.

Why can't I just hit Print Screen like I used to? :(
As I just learned you simply set the delay for 5 or 10 seconds and take the shot and then open the menu and wait till it completes the shot. And like I said it will put the shot where you want it. I run Pictures as a slide show so do not like adding stuff to that file as it gets added to the show. Screenshot puts them in Pictures.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

Print Screen screenshots are working now, I guess, but not with menus open. :/

Anyway, I used the delay: http://www.almightywebsite.com/s/g/menusmallicons.png <---big
reddot

Post by reddot »

set a delay in mate-screenshot to take menu shots (i prefer 3 seconds). you might have to experiment if you want the icons bigger, thou the way i found out was by mistake. i dont know if you can change the size of drawer icon, but i know if you change the size of the icon in

Code: Select all

/usr/share/icons/
i wanted to change the look of sublime text 3 icon since i dont like it, replaced all icons with the wrong size, size should be 48x48 in folder "48x48" /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/sublime_text.png , used 128x128. see the screenshot, and yes laugh at me. the screenshot below is right clicking on a file, to open with sublime text 3. these changes are system wide and i dont recommend to do this. someone else might be able to help you do it properly.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

I frequently visit /usr/share/icons/ . What specifically are you changing there?

I'm not using drawers. Drawers are basically little panels that slide out when you press a button, they're lovely things and I feel sad that they haven't been maintained. (And you can right click and edit button icon and the icon size, it applies to everything in the drawer). But they're broken, there's a number of things wrong with them. If I had any money I'd pay someone to fix it but I don't. :(

I am currently just usiing Add To Panel --> Application Launcher... and inserting a piece of the Main Menu that I created for the purpose. The button is 4x48 but all the icons inside are 24x24, with labels. I used to not have labels and I liked it that way. I gave everything on my panel and drawers unique icons and sometimes would just open all the drawers at once and look at the icons and smile. Something about Mint-X does nice things for my synaesthesia, although I can't put my finger on what. They kind of remind me of candy but I'm not sure why.
reddot

Post by reddot »

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/
i believe the menu icons are 16x16, if lets say you go into the directory above, and into apps-->16x16-->sublime_text.png, the image is 16x16 if you replace it with a 48x48 image inside 16x16 folder, anything that should of been displayed as a 16x16 image like in menus, menu bar, mate menu or possibly mint menu will be affected(will display 48x48 image). you might need to reload the icon cache for it to take affect or reboot, i could not find the command to refresh. but i do not recommend this method, there must be a better way.

my case: change icon for sublime text 3, just an example. image is 16x16 and was replaced with a 128x128. thus giving me a crappy right click menu. you might have to go fishing to find out where the stock app icon is located for your purpose.

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/apps/16x16/sublime_text.png
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

Oh, I see. I'm not talking about right-click context menus, I'm talking about the Main Menu with the Linux Mint logo on the panel, as well as subdirectories which I included on the panel from a special folder in the Main Menu. Several of those icons are much larger than 24x24 but they still show up as 24x24. It must be a setting with the menu somewhere. I'd bet it's an easy fix if we only knew where some sort of configuration file was.

I still miss my panel drawers though... :(
kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kreemoweet »

Right-click the Main Menu (Mint Menu) button. Choose Preferences. Most of the tabs on the resulting dialog have a box to choose icon size. The default is 24.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

I'm using the Main Menu, not the Mint Menu. They are not the same panel app, and editing the preferences for the Mint Menu does nothing. Anyway, I am trying to change the icons in the Application Launcher panel app, which may be separate from any of Main Menu, Menu Bar, or Mint Menu altogether.
reddot

Post by reddot »

sorry i got it way wrong, regardless if you add manually or drag and drop on to the panel
change icon
right click on shortcut/launcher on panel-->properties
click image displayed for the launcher
select your image of choice
change size of all icons on the panel, note you might need scalable icons???
right click on an empty space on your panel-->properties
general-->size-->increased until desired size
here is with 32 pixels, i noticed that when increasing the size not all icons were increasing in size, it must be since i dont have scalable icons for those particular launchers?, i could be wrong thou
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

There are no launchers and there is no Properties. Try it and see what I mean:

1. Set your panel to 48 pixels.
2. Right click a blank spot on the panel and click "Add to Panel..."
3. At the top, you'll see "Custom Application Launcher" and "Application Launcher". Choose "Application Launcher", beneath which you''ll see "Copy a launcher from the applications menu".
4. Click on a folder, like Games or Accessories. Do not double click, Select it and press the Add button.

You will now have a 48 pixel icon on your Panel, but when you click it, you will be presented with 24 pixel icons. I have tried right clicking those, I've tried going in to edit the menu and Right Click -> Properties (there is no option for icon size, years ago it was there but not anymore), changing the menu I have on my panel, nothing seems to work. I am using only large icons and image size is not the issue.

Thanks for helping. I still really wish Panel Drawers could be fixed. :(
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=159291

Posts in the above thread indicate an icon-size-changing option in the Caja Preferences that multiple people see. Seemingly it was around in LM13 but the last post in that thread indicates it is still there in 17.3 and it is functional. I do not have it. I have a percentage zoom of file previews, that's it.

Is something wrong with my installation...?
reddot

Post by reddot »

my machines on linux mint 17.2/17.3 mate also have percentage icon size in preference, i dont think there is something wrong.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

But I don't have the icon size option when defining a launcher either, and everyone else seems to. I don't know where it went, it was there years ago and I see no reason why it would need to be removed...

Return to “MATE”