Desktop freezes on "print screen"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbrb2

Desktop freezes on "print screen"

Post by dbrb2 »

When in press "print screen", my entire machine seems to freexe for up to 2 minutes before finally presenting me with the "save screenshot" dialogue.

I first saw this problem with Mate on 17.1, I'm now running 17.2 but still see the issue

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: Desktop freezes on "print screen"

Post by ibbill »

Would suggest you change the key from
'Print' to 'Ctrl+Print
Can you try another keyboard the print screen key may not be working right.
ofb

Post by ofb »

Open System Monitor on the Processes tab. Select View > All Processes, then sort by CPU load and see what happens during the hang. Perhaps do similar for RAM.

Also run 'mate-screenshot' in a terminal to see if there's any output. Normally that command will just the spawn the default dialog, no output.
dbrb2

Post by dbrb2 »

On pressing "print screen" or running "mint-screenshot" from the terminal, "top" shows Xorg using 99.9% CPU
This lasts ~3 minutes (timed at 3:01:20) , before eventually the screenshot dialogue is shown

The machine has two monitors - not sure if that could be relevant?
ofb

Post by ofb »

Odd. FWIW here mate-screenshot goes to 22.5% briefly as the dialog opens, and that's it for noticeable activity of the capture.

I can't find similar online, so you appear to have a lonely situation.

So first I guess sanity-check. Run the LiveISO. Test with default graphics, then go to Driver Manager to test with whatever you've got installed. If you get it to do the same, try it with one display. First by Control Centre > Monitors, then by physically turning one off, or disconnecting if necessary. (FWIW: video cables are not designed to be hot-swapped, though you can often get away with it. Everything should be powered off when you change these cables.)

Also, pop open Update Manager and check View > Linux Kernel. If you upgraded to 17.2 you might not be running the Recommended, and kernel can affect what graphic drivers are offered. If you change it, follow with the 'sudo update-grub' in terminal and reboot.
Screenshot-Linux kernels - Update Manager.png
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

If you don't get a better answer you might try replacing mate-screenshot with xfce4-screenshooter (has a GUI) or 'scrot' (no GUI; no parameters=get entire screen; scrot -s = select window or rectangle).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
dbrb2

Post by dbrb2 »

Some proegress...

Using a different grabber showed the same problem, as did disabling the other monitor.

Updating the kernel now gives me an immediate screenshot....but monitor types are no longer detected and I'm stuck at 1024*768 resolution

Any ideas?
inxi -Gxz

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 200 Series] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev,ati,radeon (unloaded: vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@76.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
ofb

Post by ofb »

Well, crud.

I presume you checked the Driver Manager after updating kernel. If you've also done the Sanity Check of investigating with the LiveISO and found the same thing, then I'm out of ideas and would myself start to look at installing directly from AMD. That's different from recommending it to someone; it's non-trivial and can make you late for dinner. And I don't know that it will cure the problem(s) here.

Example post to give you the size of it
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p988628

...it bothers me that I haven't found anyone else complaining about screenshots with that card. That suggests there might be something wrong with that individual unit.
dbrb2

Post by dbrb2 »

Ahah...getting there:

I reverted to the 3.13 kernel, and for some reason snapshots are now fine, and I have all my resolutions back :-)

Something still seemed a little off - in that if I dragged (for instance) a browser window across the screen the redraw wasn't smooth - it leaves a bit of a trail - but its a vast improvement on 30 minutes ago :-)

I have re-enabled "software compositing", which has fixed the slow redraw. I originally disabled it because Mate was freezing entirely with it on on occasion...but lets see how it does this time :-)

Return to “MATE”