No labels on desktop icons and folders [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimfuqua

No labels on desktop icons and folders [Solved]

Post by jimfuqua »

My desktop has no labels on folders or icons.

Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

64bit, Screen resolution 1920x1080, Lenovo Z51-70 laptop.

There ae a large number of errors in file ".xsession-errors" Don't know which logged errors are relevant. One occurring frequently is :
(mate-appearance-properties:19211): MateDesktop-CRITICAL **: handle_text: assertion 'parser->slides->tail != NULL' failed

kernel: 4.1.3-040103-generic

What supplemental data should I post and what settings should I check?

Should I drop back to a previous kernel? I had the same problem prior to updating the kernel and since initial installation.

I would appreciate your help.

jimfuqua
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: No labels on desktop icons and folders

Post by ibbill »

I would drop back I am using 3.13.0-24-generic no problems here. Mint 17 64 Bit

To check your kernel by typing in

Code: Select all

uname -r
in a terminal.

You can open synaptic and type in linux-image it will show you the kernels that are installed.
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

curious the kernel: 4.1.3-040103-generic did you get that in the updates for mint mate.
jimfuqua

Post by jimfuqua »

Bill, I got that kernel by following the instructions on this site:
http://www.yourownlinux.com/2015/07/how ... linux.html

I had the icon label problem from the initial installation, but I will drop back to an earlier kernel and see if that helps.

I have installed a lot of themes and other things that I probably should not have installed trying to get the labels.

Jim
jimfuqua

Post by jimfuqua »

ibbill, I dropped back to kernel 3.13.0-24-generic and the display was completely unusable. Then I tried kernel 3.16.0-38-generic. It works, but with no labels.

There is another problem of failing to refresh when shifting workspaces. That looks bad, but by dragging the cursor around it refreshes piecemeal. The lack of icon labels is a much greater problem.

I initially moved to kernel 4.1.3-040103-generic thinking the latest kernel might solve both problems but, it solved neither.

jim
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Jim thanks for the site that you upgraded the kernel from. My system is running awesome I never install anything like that unless it is an official update. That is just how I do it.

Did you do a new install of 17.2 or upgrade.

So are you saying you have no text under your folders or icons also. Have you tried a different appearance system>>>preference>appearance>>> themes customize I am using Mist.

If your running compiz you need to set the work places there.

Now I read about the text was to open caja click edit>>>> backgrounds and emblems then click the reset button.
jimfuqua

Post by jimfuqua »

Bill, your suggestion of a new install was the logical solution, but I decided to live with the problem because of the hassle of reinstalling everything.

The solution I chose was to put a folder on the desktop and put in it all of the desktop icons that were unlabeled on the desktop but set the folder contents to "List View". This worked, but in the process I discovered the solution.

The file browser is somehow involved with the desktop. When I set the contents of the new folder to "Icon View" the icons in it had no labels at 33% zoom. At 50% zoom they had labels and I could drag them back out on the desktop and they retained their labels. This Lenovo laptop has high screen resolution and the zoom level of the icons determines whether they bear labels or not.

I also installed kernel 4.1.6-040106-generic and it works perfectly.

It appears the problem is solved, but I don't know how to mark it as solved on this forum.

Thanks for all of your comments and help.

Jim Fuqua
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Jim that is awesome well done. Just great to get things fixed up. Enjoy your computer.

How to mark solved very simple I found this and it showed me how easy it was.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=147799

Return to “MATE”