Lock Screen Image

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Lock Screen Image

Post by bananabob »

I have changed my lock screen image for the second time.

The first time the image was accepted and displayed on screen locking.

But the second image, and the one I want to use from now on, will not display. All I get is a black background.

I did the change in the same way creating a new /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/default_background.jpg

The new image is the same size as the first one, and it is a smaller size in Mb than the first one.

The first image was black and white, the new image is colour.

What could be causing this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ofb

Re: Lock Screen Image

Post by ofb »

I did the change in the same way
Well, for sanity-check, do it in the same way again for a copy of the image that works.

If it turns out okay, then your method is probably good. Try it again on the reluctant image. If still no-go, then it's time to figure out what is different or strange about this image. Check the permissions. Check the 'type' in properties -- like is it a PNG or JPG or what? The extension on the filename is not necessarily correct. As long as the image is not inappropriate you can upload it here for others to try too.

Also try another image of course.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bananabob »

ofb wrote: Check the permissions.
They get you every time. I had checked the owner and group before I posted but forgot to check everyone else, and it needs to be set to read and it wasn't!

Thanks for the third eye.
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

bananabob wrote:
ofb wrote: Check the permissions.
They get you every time. I had checked the owner and group before I posted but forgot to check everyone else, and it needs to be set to read and it wasn't!

Thanks for the third eye.
Ran into the exact same issue myself (MATE with MDM, trying to set new background, and it wouldn't stick; turned out to be permissions error (Thanks, ofb). I'm a certified Linux Admin, so that shouldn't have slipped by me. LOL

Setting the permissions to 555 did the trick. :) (No need for 666 or 777, folks. 555 does it nicely.) :D

Return to “MATE”