Mounted drive icon on desktop moves around

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JanSchoubo

Mounted drive icon on desktop moves around

Post by JanSchoubo »

I have an annoying problem that I hope you can help with - I have not had any success with Google and forum searches...

I have a handful of local network drives at home, that I have set to automount and appear on the desktop as folder icons - works fine.
I like them to appear in two rows at the top.

Whenever I boot the machine without access to my local network - say at work - the drives are not mounted - as expected.

But next time the machine is booted on my local network, they appear, but not in the same locations on the desktop.
Now, if they were truly randomly placed - or lined up in the left margin like new mounts - I would understand.
But about half of them are in their original positions, and the rest are placed randomly 1-3 "rows" below their positions. (!)
It seems random which are properly located and which are moved.

Is there anything I can do to preserve their positions on the desktop, or is this a (minor) bug?

I run Mint 17 (64 bit) with MATE 1.8.1.
I seem to recall that the problem first appeared a long time ago, when I was running Ubuntu 10.x - 11.x.
I know it was present in Mint 16.
Entries in /etc/fstab are like this example:
//szilard/work /media/work cifs credentials=/etc/.smbcredentials,nodfs,nobrl,nounix,noperm,dir_mode=0750,file_mode=0750,iocharset=utf8,uid=jschoubo 0 0
Disks are D-link DNS-323 mirrored network drives.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mounted drive icon on desktop moves around

Post by altair4 »

I do not have an answer to your question but I do have an alternative you might be interested in:

[1] Change your mount point so that it doesn't automatically place a mount icon on the desktop at all - perhaps /mnt/work.

[2] Create a new panel:

Right click the existing panel > New Panel. It will show up on the top as a horizontal panel but you can change the location and orientation if you wish. I have one that is placed on the right and auto-hides so that I need to move my mouse over it to display the panel.

[3] Create launchers in the new panel to your remote shares:

Right click the new panel > Add to Panel > Custom Application Launcher > for example for my internal partition it would look like this:
Mate-New-Launcher.png
In my case they would show up in a vertical column on the right side of the desktop:
MatePanel.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “MATE”