Clean Window?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chuck5620
Level 1
Level 1

Clean Window?

Post by chuck5620 »

Is there any way to hide the desktop files from always displaying on the window?
Ideally, for me, I would like to have only the COMPUTER icon showing.

Chuck
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mrdachshund86

Re: Clean Window?

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Hi chuck.

Are you referring to the icons on the desktop?

In that case, you can go to Menu -> Preference -> Desktop Settings -> Desktop, and just disable everything except "Computer".

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

mrdachshund86
chuck5620
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chuck5620 »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately when I followed your instructions my Home folder disappeared but all the other folders remained. These folders are contained within the Desktop folder which is under my Home folder.

The path is /home/chuck/Desktop/ = all the folders/files I do not want spread all over the window.
Is there another way to hide them?

Chuck
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

chuck5620 wrote:Unfortunately when I followed your instructions my Home folder disappeared but all the other folders remained.
I wasn't thinking. That option only gets rid of the Trash, Home, etc. icons off the desktop.

As far as temporarily hiding folders on the desktop, I'm not sure if there is an easy way to do that. I wish I could be of more help. :( Maybe someone else with a more expertise could help you?

mrdachshund86
chuck5620
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chuck5620 »

Thanks anyway!
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I don't think I fully understand what you want to achieve. The whole point of the Desktop directory is that anything you put in it will appear on your desktop. If you don't want anything on your desktop, don't put anything in the Desktop directory.

Having said that, if you really want to have things in Desktop, but you don't want them to appear on your desktop, this might work (it works in file managers):

1. Create a text file named .hidden in Desktop.
2. In the text file, write the names of the files/directories in Desktop that you want hidden, one per line.
3. Log out and in or restart the computer.
4. If it doesn't work, delete '.hidden'. The easiest way is to open the terminal and execute: rm Desktop/.hidden

Return to “MATE”