Auto-maximize

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Auto-maximize

Post by ingeva »

I just installed Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” MATE RC, and discovered a new feature of the window manager that I don't like:
When I move a window to the top, it has a tendency to maximize that window.
Maximized windows give me stomach ache. It's like a shock. I never maximize windows, because I have more than one window open most of the time. Also, it reminds me of Window(s), because many Windows users seem to forget the "s" in "Windows".

So the big question is: How can I get rid of this "feature"? I have removed software that I thought would be responsible, only to lose other important features - but NOT the auto-max feature.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Auto-maximize

Post by xenopeek »

The feature is called tiling. Go to Control Center > Windows > Placement tab > disable side by side tiling. Perhaps ask sooner next time, because removing software seems like a drastic measure.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

xenopeek wrote:The feature is called tiling. Go to Control Center > Windows > Placement tab > disable side by side tiling. Perhaps ask sooner next time, because removing software seems like a drastic measure.
Thank you!
I thought it would be simple to fix this from the control center, but I couldn't guess that it had anything to do with tiling! :)

I know that removing software can be drastic, but I always have a spare OS in another partition, and even if the system should be totally corrupted I can restore everything in 20 minutes. After all, we're not running MS Windows, are we? :)

Besides, I feel that I should make a serious attempt before asking ... :)

Now I've gotten rid of the annoying auto-maximize, I'm back to a system that works exactly the way I like it!

(I asked for a notice when a response had been made, but didn't get one).
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

ingeva wrote:
xenopeek wrote:The feature is called tiling. Go to Control Center > Windows > Placement tab > disable side by side tiling. Perhaps ask sooner next time, because removing software seems like a drastic measure.
Thank you!
I thought it would be simple to fix this from the control center, but I couldn't guess that it had anything to do with tiling! :)
Back again, less than 3 months later. I had to regenerate the system from scratch in order to see if I could get rid of another "feature". So the auto-max feature was back, and I found this conversation to remind me so I could remove it again.

Sometimes features are added, that seem not only unnecessary, but annoying. This is one of them.
[frust]
Recently "backspace" no longer worked as a means return to the previous page in FireFox.
I changed the key (using customize shortcuts), only to realize that pressing Backspace in an input field also triggered the function. This has never happened before, but in the back of my mind tells me that some time, years ago (?), I had to change something in about:config to make it work properly.
Such changes are EXTREMELY annoying. After entering a long text in an input field, and then using Backspace to edit, the whole text is lost! [/frust]
I realize of course that the latter is a Mozilla problem, but it's an example of (imho) bad decisions from some developers.

Return to “MATE”