Cinammon to MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vinci

Cinammon to MATE

Post by vinci »

Hello,

I have been trying to switch from cinammon to mate. I have installed linux cinammon 17.1, but now I'd like to install mate to switch to it, without reinstalling linux.

What I did was apt get install mate-full and apt get install mate-session-manager (or display manager, don't remember exactly).

Anyway, the point is that now, whenever I boot mate, I only have a black screen and only the cursor shows up.

I don't have too much of an idea what to do from here.

I also installed lxdm (as a session manager, just trying to tinker with it), which worked, but then I tried to switch back to mdm (/etc/X11/default-display-manager), but the login screen doesn't pop up anymore. So now I can either start cinammon or mate directly, without a session-manager. But of course, the latter doesn't work and the former (cinammon) works only with 'startx'. So somehow, the default of the session-manager (login manager or whatever it's called) is mate, but the default for my linux user is cinammon.

Can anyone help and make heads or tails of it?

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Cinammon to MATE

Post by richyrich »

Try installing mint-meta-mate from Synaptic Package Manager.
vinci

Post by vinci »

Indeed, it seems to work just fine.

Thanks a lot!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

You seem to be confused about some things. First of all, you should understand that MATE and Cinnamon are window managers. They themselves are NOT Linux or an operating system. KDE, XFCE, LMDE and Gnome are other window managers. You can install any window manager you like or even more than one and switch between them without needing to re-install the underlying operating system. :D
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

cmost wrote:You seem to be confused about some things. First of all, you should understand that MATE and Cinnamon are window managers. ...
Wrong. You are confused. They are full DEs that incorporate window managers.

Mate in 17.1 comes with 2 window managers, marco and compiz.

I think cinnamon uses mutter (metacity clutter) as a wm.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Hoser Rob wrote:
cmost wrote:You seem to be confused about some things. First of all, you should understand that MATE and Cinnamon are window managers. ...
Wrong. You are confused. They are full DEs that incorporate window managers.

Mate in 17.1 comes with 2 window managers, marco and compiz.

I think cinnamon uses mutter (metacity clutter) as a wm.
No, I'm not confused but you are in fact correct. I said Window Manager when I meant was Desktop manager. It's a matter of semantics. I've been using Linux for over 12 years exclusively on all of my workstations, laptops and servers so I'm pretty familiar with its architecture. Sorry for the confusion of my post. By the way, I wasn't intending to be insulting; merely, I was only trying to educate. Cheers! :D
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Return to “MATE”