<SOLVED>"Search Bar" in MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

<SOLVED>"Search Bar" in MATE

Post by Fred Barclay »

G'day! I just booted up a live 17.1 MATE usb and noticed a search bar on the bottom of the menu that allows me to look for applications by name. My Debian Sid install (MATE, of course) doesn't have this, and I'd really like to add the feature.

Thanks!
Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: "Search Bar" in MATE

Post by Monsta »

Why only search bar? Debian repos don't have mintMenu itself :D search bar is just a part of it.

Add Betsy repos:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com betsy main upstream import
and install mintmenu package.

Watch out for possible issue with mintsources package though.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Oh, so it's part of the mintmenu instead of being a separate package? Never mind, then. :(
I suppose I could download the source code for mintmenu and possible jury-rig something together, though, if I really want it.
Thanks!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Yes, of course - you can get the release tarball from here or check the source code in github repo.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks for the links. I'll look into it. :)
- Albert Einstein
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

And just in case you'd become interested in mintMenu itself: its generic fork, mate-menu, is available in Testing and Sid.

Return to “MATE”